Amateur here.

A Casual Fellow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm just an amatuer...

2hellgate23.jpg

2hellgate26.jpg

This one is a bit blurry... I'm not sure if its because my camera sucks, or because I didn't use a tripod.

I took these pictures while urban exploring inside Hellgate bridge.[/img]

Gotta agree with Carlita...the people spoil the first one and the blurring spoils the 2nd.
Shame really because they're both got potential especially the 2nd but it's also worth remembering this is only my opinion.
Definitely use a tripod next time, BTW, what is the place used for?
It looks like the entrance to a dam or similar.

Cool area for images, you're on the right track being drawn to these places... Actually, I'd like a single person in the first image, just not a crowd. If it were just the one lone guy against the wall, it'd add some intrigue to an intriguing looking place, or put the red-hat guy against the wall there....but I'd be trying to keep a stark image stark, as opposed to adding the warmth of the group of buddies, if that makes sense. :scratch: There's potential there.

And ditto the other comments about using the tripod. :D

yeah, i didn't mean to sound rude saying what i said. in case it came out that way. :p if you still have access to this place, try to go back if you can and shoot it again without the people there and let us see what you come up with.

i felt the same way as terri... the fact that it's a group (and that at least one of the people is smiling it looks like) completely changes the mood. i tend to lean toward the macabre so, the darker the scene (figuratively speaking), the more i tend to like it. :wink:

and a tripod is essential. it can be a real ***** to lug around, but it's well worth it. :)

amatuer my bum ;)

i love the first one..i agree with the above. the people dont do it for me, but i love the rest of it...maybe if that oen dude wasnt taking a picture of you, it would look more casual like a snap shot but with creativity (the lighting rocks in this image)

the second one, i dont like how much blurr there is.

when i look at it i think, "hehe..that must be what a drunk person sees" (i dont drink, so i can only wonder;)) but again, its too much blurr for me..

if there was less blurr i would like it a lot.

Like the location for the shots! Oké, the pics are technical not very good, but you've got a great eye!

In my opinion, a good photographer has two things: technical knowledge and a good eye.

I don't have the first, maybe you either. But hey, technical knowledge is something you can learn!

hm.. this reply turns out to be pep-talk, sorry about that, hehe...

Thanks for the feedback.

The first picture, the one with the group is actually a group picture of all of us. I'm the guy against the wall with the long purplish hair... I placed the camera at the top of stairs and set the timer, then jumped in for the shot. I don't have a tripod, and I usually can't lug one around when I go to places like that (we were exploring Hellgate Bridge, an operation Amtrak bridge), so most of the time I improvise by tilting my camera on rocks or walls or whatever.
You can see more of our pictures at:
http://expeditionnyc.web1000.com

I was holding the camera in the second picture, so naturally, it came out blurry. But I do have a question; I have little to no knowledge on photography (hence my labeling myself an "amateur"), the tunnel I took that picture in was "normal colored", but for some reason, when I take pictures of it with a digital camera, it comes out green or blue (mostly green). I'm assuming this is caused by the lighting, and possibly the RGB thing, because sometimes my pictures would come out red as well.

Thanks![/url]

I am going to go contrary to what most people have said here. I am also not very familiar with the technical aspects of a camera, but I can see the pics for what they are regardless. I like the first one because of the contrast of stark location with humanity. It looks like your group of friends are used to hanging out in that kind of place. I also think the pic would be good without people which is what I pictured as the photo was loading.

As for the second one, it's true that there is a significant blur, but I like it because it looks almost dreamlike or like it's being seen through wet eyes. It adds a mood to it in my opinion. I am a bit odd though, some of my favourite pics are ones that didn't turn out, but look cool to me anyway, just because they are so odd.
Keep posting. -Alicia

Yet another view - The first photo to me is very rock band looking. Would be a great location for some "dark" images of people. But, if not doing the cd sleeve shot - one person with a splash of color would be great.
2nd shot - a lone person walking away from camera view could be nice,
some sort of use of a back light or gelled flash on the walls, - next time with no tripod - bend down - step on the camera strap, the pull taught. Makes for a great emergency tripod.

A Casual Fellow said:
the tunnel I took that picture in was "normal colored", but for some reason, when I take pictures of it with a digital camera, it comes out green or blue (mostly green). I'm assuming this is caused by the lighting, and possibly the RGB thing, because sometimes my pictures would come out red as well.

Thanks![/url]

It's the fluorescent lighting that causes the green tint. If you can change the white balance setting on your camera that should help alot.

Steve

I love the green tint though. It ads to the feeling I get when I see this image.

it's like a bad-ass, those kids arent supposed to be in a dark secluded looking place..type of feeling.

Most reactions

Back