Amateur Models CC Please

alannahrose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
These are two of five models that came in to model for my photography class. They are sisters and they were very outgoing and really great at posing for having NO prior experience. I had two lights on the background to blow it out and one huge soft box in front of them. I wanted it to be high key. I shot these at 100 ISO, F9 and 1/250.

4793763657_ae38f74a0b_b.jpg

4794395626_0927f75329_b.jpg

4793760277_471a7fa8bd_b.jpg

4794389940_a1e0154a6d_b.jpg

Just curious why the dark eyes? It kinda looks... ummm.... :pimp:

Not really a fan of these, very sharpened looking, the dark eyes are throwing me for a loop, the posing is not that flattering. I know they are not models but it is up to the photographer to make sure they are at least near the mark.

For instance, the last one the sister on the right looks like her neck is snapped.

3rd and 4th shots show too much distortion. Way too much actually.

Also, as the previous poster mentioned, these dark eyes don't really go well with the white setting.

Were you directing these models or were they doing "their own thing"?

These aren't what I would really think of as high key; I think given the make-up and poses the lighting should have been rather more dramatic. As-is, it's rather flat and not very exciting. Great for a business portrait, but I think here one strobe as a backlight and a second as keylight with a snoot about 30-40 degrees image right/left would have given you some really contrasty shadows that would have been more in keeping with the make-up and expressions. Good job nonetheless!!

three lights? one front front and two behind at roughly 20-30 degrees?

if so, technically they're fine. maybe a bit too sharp but that may just be the style

The dark undereye makeup on the young woman with the peach-colored top is really distracting...still, cute gals...the photos aren't quite doing them justice...

On your end, the images are focused and the lighting is good.

It's the models. Their makeup and clothing is weird. Black eyes on white background isn't too bad. They do that sometimes in "high fashion". Their clothing combined with posture creates too many rolls around the stomach. These are not fat girls!

Their body lines, arm lines, and hands aren't very appealing to the eye.

Maybe less woulda been more. Just shoot their faces or from torso up.

These were supposed to be like high fashion and edgy.

What kind of distortion?

They were doing their own thing and thanks for the advice.

The tops were already had roll like ruffles, so that plus the posing..

And everyone is commenting on the bad posing; they were going for high fashion poses and yes, they were doing their own thing.

Thank you everyone for the CC!

I'll comment on things that I have been researching and concentrating on lately. The more I read, the more often these fundamentals are overlooked or not understood. Hell, I didn't know until recently as I am trying to do more 'people' shots.

#1 - Nice example of a full face mask. I think either your camera position is slightly high or your model was lookig at you rather than the lens. This is causing too much wjites of her eyes to be showing and not enough iris. Her shoulder being rolled forward has caused several issues I think. 1) an imbalance in her stance 2) slouching posture 3) her shoulder being more prominent than her face and 4) a little extra tummy roll. Her left hand and knee are even more prominent in their positions. Lastly, the jewelry doesn't play well.

#2 - Very nice example of a 2/3rds and a profile mask in the same shot. This would have given a nice interplay between them if only one was looking at the other. I think you're getting some wrap around reflection off the background. Did you use a flag or any other modifier?

#3 - Sorry, but this one doesn't work for me. Girl on right doesn't have the right stuff to pull that pose off.... at least not in those shorts. She looks very uncomfortable. Girl on left, not so bad. However there is a flash running across her chest.

#4 - Girl on left needs a cell phone in her hand. Girl on right needs to be removed.

The background on all of them look bad with (guessing) clean up in post. There is an awful lot of swoops and swirls and some color shift.

Sorry if that sounds negative, but it isn't in the overall. Still nice shots. Thanks for sharing.

You cant really help with where the modeling went wrong. In general, the shots where the models are together, they are totally working against eachother. Rather than each adding to the image and making it work as one piece. This is especially so in shot number three.

I feel that the makeup and outfits would have gone better with a black background, because of how dramatic and dark it really is.

I really don't think you are to fault with how the models were though. The lighting looks pretty good at my first look. Keep working at it!

On the background in post, I think I need to calibrate my monitor because it looks perfectly white, but on a different monitor I could see some spots where you could see where I dodged the background slightly. I don't have the money to get a good calibrator right now, does anyone know anything else I can do to fix this problem?

In the first image I did remove the other girl because they were in completely different poses.

The lighting and editing would be more suitable for a pinup-style shoot.

And they look like raccoons.

High key has nothing to do with exposure or lighting. It has to do with light-colored subject matter. A white picket fence is a high-key subject.

Most reactions

Back