amateur needs help(scenery)

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by wiken43, Jan 19, 2009.

1. wiken43

wiken43 TPF Noob!

I am a very amatuer photogragher. I have a panasonic lumix dmc fz5pp camera. I have to edit all of my outdoor landscape pictures using fill light. They are very dark. Looking through the view finder or the LCD screen, they look good, but after transfering them to my computer I have to use the fill light. When I first used the camera I didn't need to do this. I usually use the scene(landscape) mode on the camera to take these pictures. Any suggestions? Also, Is there a free website that can teach me the basics of digital photyograghy? I have a natural ability for finding excellent scenes, but really need help on the technical part of photograghy. I would really appreciate any help. Thank you

2. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    First off welcome to the site!
    From what you say it sounds like your not getting the exposures that you want when you shoot. I (and many others on the site) would heartily recomend the following book:

Understanding exposure by Bryan Peterson

I think that would go a long long way to helping you with your exposure problem as you describe it. Also if you want more specific advice post up and example of one of you shots. Also post the exif info for shutter speed, ISO and aperture used (this can be found in the properties of the photo file - right click on the file - go to properties - then the details tab - scroll down to find the info).

3. Samanax

Samanax TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Have you made any changes to any of the camera settings? Did you change the exposure compensation setting by mistake?
    The Luminous Landscape

Digital Photography School

Digital Photography Basics

Digital Photography Tutorials

PhotoXels - Tutorials

Digital Cameras - A Beginner's Guide

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That would be the first thing I would check.

Also, maybe your computer monitor has changed (either the settings or just over time). Without knowing if your monitor is accurate, it's hard to really diagnose a problem like this.