Amateur photographer seeks advice on how much to charge for photo session and prints:

Yes technique can be learned but he is talking about selling his services right now, and I'm not sure he is ready. It's like anything, if you jump too soon, you set yourself up for failure, and most people don't recover from a first big failure in business. It just seems to me that so many pepole after putting in a short period of time with a camera figure they are ready.

True true.

The thing about technique is a lot of clients wouldn't know it of it bit them on the ass. It's only about what they'll buy.

I agree that lack of business knowledge will result in failure.

As was said before ( and trust me I still dont' have this right!!) you have to figure out you cost of doing business plus what you hope to make etc and that will give you your starting point. For example I am aiming for doing 12 sessions per month in order to make what I need to make to support myself and to be able to purchase new equipment, taxes etc etc. I think your photos are great and I really loved the first 2 and I think you would do great if you just learn about the business portion of it. You will continue to get better as a photographer the more you work. There are plenty of people who would pay for your work :) Good luck to you!

Most reactions

Back