(Amateur poll) Do you print your images? Do you have you prints made?

(Amateur poll) Do you print?

• Yes, on a regular basis.

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • No, not on a regular basis.

Votes: 15 50.0%

• Total voters
Print making is an art into itself.

Print making has technical considerations not related to photography, and there are technical considerations that apply during editing and prepping a photograph for printing. Many of those considerations do not apply to electronic display of a photograph.
In other words, a photo edited and prepped for printing likely won't look as good displayed electronically as it does as a print.

If you want to make high quality, long lasting inkjet prints there is a lot to learn:
Fine Art Printing for Photographers: Exhibition Quality Prints with Inkjet Printers

I don't know of any amateur photographers that have at home a machine that can make C-prints from digital photographs.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have an artists portfolio that I got from a local hobby store for about $15. Since I'm just starting out I don't feel that everything I do is "print worthy" yet, but when I get a few shots together that I do want to print out, I'll have some 14x11's made for my portfolio just so I have something physical to show to friends & family. Having something to physically show somehow legitimizes things a bit more than "hey look at my phone/computer screen" to me.

My "portfolio" really just serves as a large photo album though, I don't have any delusions of having a gallery showing or anything... yet lol.

Reactions: ak_
I do this quite often and either put them up somewhere in my apartment or give them away to friends. I find that in this way it brings me closer to the subject of the photo. They also make great Christmas presents when you are a little short on money too. ;)

The day I decided that I'd only keep an image file if I felt it worthy of printing (retouching/prepping for print), was the day things became more productive and constructive. I can reduce down a couple of hundred bracketed shots from a day's shooting to a between five and ten images, copy these to a master SOOC folder, prep them for print and save those print output files to second folder. Often I do keep a couple of similar shots, as the better exposure of the two is not necessarily the better 'moment' when I compare them. That's the only excess/duplication I'm retaining in my archive.

I do this quite often and either put them up somewhere in my apartment or give them away to friends. I find that in this way it brings me closer to the subject of the photo.

I agree. I read a good comment the other day, that someone said (paraphrasing) you have to really feel, believe in the subject for yourself to expect anyone else to feel it also.

I do this quite often and either put them up somewhere in my apartment or give them away to friends. I find that in this way it brings me closer to the subject of the photo.

I agree. I read a good comment the other day, that someone said (paraphrasing) you have to really feel, believe in the subject for yourself to expect anyone else to feel it also.

I totally agree with you.

With regards to the printing photos; there is something so much more personable by creating prints, an image on a computer feels so cold!

I totally agree with you.

With regards to the printing photos; there is something so much more personable by creating prints, an image on a computer feels so cold!

Thanks, I'm really pleased and I agree with you. Many of us have gigabytes of photos by this point. The novelty of Y2K-2005 digital point & shooting has come and gone, the high-tide mark of Flickr sharing has. I was sitting around thinking so..why? why have all these image files? Printing has given it direction and a certain purpose rather than just a compulsion to shoot for the sake of it. The computers as creative tools are fantastic in that we can work-up our pictures - all the steps that would take so much materials and time. It is a great litmus test for (in editing down a card full of files): would I spend $5 or so prepping this up and printing it? If I know the answer is yes, I keep the image. Editing decisions was never so cut and dried up to this point.

If you get to the point where you are making money off your prints its easy to justify owning a printer, and certainly more convenient than having them printed elsewhere. I have even seen wide format epsons on Craigslist going for a fraction of what they once cost, I sold a 44" 9600 last year for only $500 - in perfect working condition. I am personally a fan of Epson's print quality and have never had any real problems.

I print my own as long as they are 8 1/2" x 11" or smaller. If I want a larger print, I take them to the local UPS/Print Source and have them printed. I use an inexpensive Epson XP-610 printer and have had superb results from it. A few years ago, I bought their Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner and was so impressed, I ditched my old HP printer and went with the Epson printer.... and I've never looked back!

Hello
I print a lot of my photos too. Every two months approximately, i print between 10- 20 photos, that i put on my photo wall in my flat, or that i keep on my desk.
Even if like scrolling on the internet to see pictures, the feeling to keep in your hands your own creations is great. I only print into a photo shop in my city

I got few of my images printed on B2 international format. They are my current decorations in my room :) ALways makes me happy.

Well considering most of my work is printed up on canvas or aluminum metal (dyes infused to sheets of metal), it's mostly out sourced to printing labs.

I sold a 44" 9600 last year for only $500 - in perfect working condition.

What would it cost per year to use and maintain (say for example ten "A3" size prints per week, quality inks and papers)? ~500 prints per year.

Every few months, I'll order a stack of prints from Adoramapix.com. Sometimes I'll print on my inkjet at home, but only small and only to test colors or contrast, or maybe to make a bookmark or something, just to have. I also participate in things like print or postcard exchanges. Just got a stack of postcards delivered today, actually. And like Fred, my Polaroids take care of the printing for me ;) One day, I'll be setting up a darkroom.

Most reactions

Back