Amatuer maternty pics - critique/re-edit please?

Paul147

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all,

This is my first post here :)

I took these last night of my heavily pregnant (and a little shy, hence the photos are quite covered) partner. They seem a little flat however, and I was wondering if anyone knew if they could look better with editing? Or maybe cropping? I am just an amateur photographer. Also any general tips on how to capture the moment better would be great !

Any critique is welcome though :)

Paul

Last edited:
Welcome to TPF! To be honest, these seem more like clinical images rather than keepsake photographs. A few suggestions for improvement if you decide to reshoot:

-Find a nicer location; the [I assume] kitchen] with the clutter in the background really doesn't work very well;
-correct your WB; there appears to be several temperatures of light here, and there are some odd colour casts on the skin;
-do an on-line image search of 'maternity' and similar and imitate some of the poses. Posing anyone, especially female subjects square or at 90 degrees to the camera is rarely flattering (It's also known as "football shoulders"; think "Wanted poster"); and
-choose clothing which is better matched and looks a little less like 'lounging in front of the television on Sunday morning' wear.

If the lady is shy, then I'm guessing out of doors may not be an option; do you have large window you could use? Something like thin curtains, a white shower curtain or similar hung in front would make a good diffuser and allow you a nice, soft, more even light appropriate (IMO) for this sort of work.

Welcome to TPF! To be honest, these seem more like clinical images rather than keepsake photographs. A few suggestions for improvement if you decide to reshoot:

-Find a nicer location; the [I assume] kitchen] with the clutter in the background really doesn't work very well;
-correct your WB; there appears to be several temperatures of light here, and there are some odd colour casts on the skin;
-do an on-line image search of 'maternity' and similar and imitate some of the poses. Posing anyone, especially female subjects square or at 90 degrees to the camera is rarely flattering (It's also known as "football shoulders"; think "Wanted poster"); and
-choose clothing which is better matched and looks a little less like 'lounging in front of the television on Sunday morning' wear.

If the lady is shy, then I'm guessing out of doors may not be an option; do you have large window you could use? Something like thin curtains, a white shower curtain or similar hung in front would make a good diffuser and allow you a nice, soft, more even light appropriate (IMO) for this sort of work.

Thanks for the reply. I will definitely take more to get better ones.

Yea outdoor wouldn't work but I will play around with different backgrounds like the window. Could I zoom in more to get rid of other objects in the room? You are right about the clothes being too much like a sunday morning! I will work on that too, the black singlet one looks terrible...

I'm not sure about the white balance? Can that just be edited after the photo is taken?

Thanks

I have to agree here, if you study maternity portriats there are several components that set them apart from "snapshots" I will only list a few basics:

1) wardrobe. Pajamas and a rolled up shirt usually aren't the apparel of one wanting to make keepsake photographs.

2) location/background. A plain wall, wrinkle less curtain, or a scenic background are classics for a reason. They enhance the photo instead of making one wonder "is she in the kitchen? Why?"

3) posing. Lots of options here, but straight on can be pretty unflattering for anyone, let along someone carrying around an extra 20 lbs.

4) lighting, you could try going outside during the golden hour for some easy to use, pleasing light.

If I were you, and I wanted a keepsake images of my pregnant spouse I would choose a pose on Pinterest or google search and try to recreate it. Pay attention to every detail and figure out how to make it happen. Even it it takes you a week to get one shot, it's better (IMHO) to have one amazing shot, than dozens of snap shots.

Happy shooting!

I have to agree here, if you study maternity portriats there are several components that set them apart from "snapshots" I will only list a few basics:

1) wardrobe. Pajamas and a rolled up shirt usually aren't the apparel of one wanting to make keepsake photographs.

2) location/background. A plain wall, wrinkle less curtain, or a scenic background are classics for a reason. They enhance the photo instead of making one wonder "is she in the kitchen? Why?"

3) posing. Lots of options here, but straight on can be pretty unflattering for anyone, let along someone carrying around an extra 20 lbs.

4) lighting, you could try going outside during the golden hour for some easy to use, pleasing light.

If I were you, and I wanted a keepsake images of my pregnant spouse I would choose a pose on Pinterest or google search and try to recreate it. Pay attention to every detail and figure out how to make it happen. Even it it takes you a week to get one shot, it's better (IMHO) to have one amazing shot, than dozens of snap shots.

Happy shooting!

Ok, so I ill take some more photos are work on a few things. Yea the kitchen wasn't ideal. Could someone please edit or change the lighting if possible on one of them so I know how to do it? The colours seem off...

It's very difficult to properly change white balance in a .jpg - for best results shoot in raw format, and use a program such as Adobe Lightroom to correct. If you include a white/grey target in the first shot, it will allow you to set the colour exactly.

Happy shooting!

Ok, so I ill take some more photos are work on a few things. Yea the kitchen wasn't ideal. Could someone please edit or change the lighting if possible on one of them so I know how to do it? The colours seem off...

It might be easier, and better quality wise, to do in your camera. (Assuming you are shooting JPEG) find your white balance settings and change it to whatever lighting source you will be shooting in during that session.

I second the advice about finding examples of maternity poses and then duplicating them. I don't see your photos (did you take them down?) so I can't comment on them. But let me offer a couple of generic pieces of advice for maternity shoots.

1. Putting a lace ribbon with a bow around the Mom-to-be's stomach sometimes can work really well...it creates the impression that the baby is a gift that the Mom is going to deliver.

2. Adding 20-30 pounds generally doesn't flatter most people or most body parts. Having people laying down or sitting will often times add a double chin or those thighs get bigger. But even the most modestly endowed woman will acquire cleavage. So use that for poses.

3. Soft light works well for boudoir and maternity shots.

4. All of the advice about setting is important. Not only is the clutter distracting, but the setting and backdrop help create a mood.

5. Props can be a nice touch. Have the Mom-to-be hold a child's toy against her tummy. Posing in the nursery, leaning against the crib is another winner.

6. I've seen humor also work well. The Mom-to-be is reading "What to Expect" with a worried look on her face and one hand on her belly. Or looking cross-eyed at a breast pump (with an expression that says "I'm gonna do what with this?"). Or if the Mom is very far along, pose her with her "go" bag pushing her husband's shoulder and pointing to the door...while the mate (you) are in a chair avidly watching a football game.

Yea outdoor wouldn't work but I will play around with different backgrounds like the window. Could I zoom in more to get rid of other objects in the room? You are right about the clothes being too much like a sunday morning! I will work on that too, the black singlet one looks terrible...

I'm not sure about the white balance? Can that just be edited after the photo is taken?

Thanks
I think tirediron meant to use the Window as a light source and not a background. With the "do you have large window you could use? Something like thin curtains, a white shower curtain or similar hung in front would make a good diffuser and allow you a nice, soft, more even light appropriate (IMO) for this sort of work."

you basically use the window as the light source. So you photo subject would be opposite the window. BUT you don't want to use bright daylight as a "final" light source. Thus the white shower curtain or thin curtains, which does not let the light be so direct and causing very dark and harsh shadows. The thin curtain "softens" the light and allows a more pleasing photo.

Thanks
I think tirediron meant to use the Window as a light source and not a background. With the "do you have large window you could use? Something like thin curtains, a white shower curtain or similar hung in front would make a good diffuser and allow you a nice, soft, more even light appropriate (IMO) for this sort of work."

you basically use the window as the light source. So you photo subject would be opposite the window. BUT you don't want to use bright daylight as a "final" light source. Thus the white shower curtain or thin curtains, which does not let the light be so direct and causing very dark and harsh shadows. The thin curtain "softens" the light and allows a more pleasing photo.
Yes... this is exactly what I meant, thanks!

Most reactions

Back