Amazing Oppertunity....but I need help

Efergoh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Alright, I've shot 3 assignments for a regional publication (10,000-15,000 monthly circulation). They've been thrilled with the work I've done and have asked me to shoot their cover for an upcoming issue.

They have shown interest in taking me on as a staff photographer.
I would be the only one as they farm out all of their photo work to area shutterbugs.

The Art Director asked me to write a proposal that he can send up the food chain (more or less selling myself as an employee).

Trouble is; while they might be pleased with the work I've given them, I have no clue how to write or format a "proposal."

HELP!

You'll need to include things like:

~Starting salary, or at least an acceptable range.
~Job requirements - are you just responsible for your own stuff or will you be managing the farmed out work as well? Roughly how many photos will you be providing each week? How many of each scene will they have to choose from, if you aren't the one with the final word on that.
~Copyright/licensing of the work.
~Travel mileage, if covered.
~Hours, in general. If you will be out a lot, is 8hrs a day required or just 40/wk?
~What additional equipment/supplies/software will you need now/eventually that they may cover. Who will own it if you leave?
~Who you will report to and whether your photos can be edited by someone else.
~General deadlines you would be subject to, if applicable.
~Photographer credit under each photo or not?

I'm sure there are lots more items, but that would be a basic list.

I had figured all of that, but I have never written a proposal.
I don't know what format they expect. Has anyone here ever written one?

i have written one before. i have used the job resume - looking format. tell them what is included, what tools will be used, what services you provide, what they will receive, etc. the one i wrote up was for website design for a client. i included what pages would be involved and what they would have on them and why. how each page would benefit the business, just went through the design and layout and explained from beginning to end of what i would provide. start to end of project. not sure if this help. good luck.

What you need is a contract.
State what you want. What you will do in return.
Do you require a per diem?
Do you want a pay for play?
Do you want to hold rights?
What do you want?
Yes, these regional mags can be good for your bigger picture, but only if you get to use your images.
Do they pay you for travel? Cost of parking your car? Is it worth the trade off?
I used to do PJ for an agency. I lost money hand over fist. However, I negotiated that I could use my images for self promotion. It was good for me.
You need to set your terms. Don't let them set them. It doesn't have to be all legal smegal. Just type out what YOU WANT.
They will come in with a counter.
Then you can take it or leave it.
Or you can re negotiate.

You are the images. Don't forget that.

And BTW, thank you for your service.
Hugs,
Cindy

Actual format? I'd write it in a general contract format - like an outline with paragraphs and subparagraphs. And add a cover letter with all of your contact information and a business card attached on top of the package. If you have enough photog stuff to merit a resume, include a copy, if not, include your main accomplishments on the cover letter.

Most reactions

Back