Amazing picture, I didnt take it but want opinions.

Jdub777

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My friend sent this picture to me as I drive across this bridge almost everyday. I fell in love with it, how the lights illuminate the bridge so perfectly and how this is just enough water on the ground to create a perfect reflection. Even the old beat up storage centers seem to add something to the picture. Anyways, just wanted your opinion on it, thanks!

02208_thebaybridgereflecting_1280x8.jpg

gary youre so cool

anyways, i like the photo, the puddles make a cool effect

OK, so we all know that Gary would have deleted it.
I wouldn't.
I would have been happy with the outcome. I can't see how this is not in focus, to my old eyes, it looks in focus, and I don't feel WB is off at all. I like how the sky still has a bit of colour (a lovely night blue!), how the street lights are NOT the sodium red they often are WHEN WB is not right, I like the reflection in the puddles.

And to like or not to like the ANGLE is sooo subjective, it says NOTHING about the photo as such!

The foreground reflection is a nice touch, but I don't like the storage garages.

Hmm...something is odd in the picture but I can't put my finger on it...it's almost as though the reflection is....fake? I mean...the storage building is right in front of the bridge so how does the reflection made it out so far. Also, if you look at the red light at the top of the bridge...it is brighter that on the actual bridge itself?? Or it could be these old eyes need new glasses? :(

I wouldn't.
I would have been happy with the outcome. I can't see how this is not in focus, to my old eyes, it looks in focus, and I don't feel WB is off at all. I like how the sky still has a bit of colour (a lovely night blue!), how the street lights are NOT the sodium red they often are WHEN WB is not right, I like the reflection in the puddles.

And to like or not to like the ANGLE is sooo subjective, it says NOTHING about the photo as such!

I could not agree more.

1. a photo does not always need to be technically perfect. The composition here with the reflections in the puddles makes this shot.

2. The angle of the photo is such to collect the reflections in the puddles, hence the reason the buildings do not block the reflection.

Each photo has a purpose... this photo definitely meets the purpose...so I am guessing. ;)

I wouldn't.

I could not agree more.

1. a photo does not always need to be technically perfect. The composition here with the reflections in the puddles makes this shot.

2. The angle of the photo is such to collect the reflections in the puddles, hence the reason the buildings do not block the reflection.

Each photo has a purpose... this photo definitely meets the purpose...so I am guessing. ;)

If you look to the left the puddle carries on out of the photo so if the shot was more to the left and at more of a 45 degree angle there would have been more reflection

the guy said he hasn't done any editing to it. I can give the website if wanted

I like it. Overall I think its a good subject. It is lacking in a few technical areas.

- The focus is a little off. Not knowing what settings were used, I would say the shot needed to be a few stops down and would have benefitted from a longer exposure. Possibly with a 2-stop ND filter

- A longer exposure would have added a subtle blur to the water but not much as it looks pretty still. It would have made a nice effect.

- It is also possible that the image was shaken a bit. Seeing that is is a low angle, I am going to assume that the shooter was laying on his stomach. A gorilla pod would have had nice use here to keep the camera stable. Another good trick would have been to lock the mirror up to reduce shutter shake

- Post production editing can recover some detail as well. I would tweak the sharpening and noise in in the RAW editor. This shot could look very professional if it were converted to monochrome with a little added noise in Photoshop.

- I am torn on the storage building. It seems like it could be cloned out. It works but doesn't. Not sure how to word it.

Just my .02

i like this picture the reflection on the wather is very good, that's just my opinion

The puddle reflection is good, the fact that it's separated from the real bridge makes it more interesting than the usual reflection. But I'm not happy with the composition. I agree with others that the storage units are a distraction - at least the way it's framed here.

It's nothing special, if i had taken it i would have deleted it

+1

What a bunch of pompous d*cks. :lol:

I like the color cast that it has, and I like the reflection in the puddle. I don't think the angle is bad if the composition was a little better. I find my eye drawn to the hideous building below the bridge. I think thats the part that ruins the picture.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back