American driving trip photography tips/locations.

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by Jettics, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Jettics

Jettics TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hey all.

I'm planning a huge trip of America awesome in June. I need your help to find pretty places to photograph and insome cases just pretty places. Feel free to throw in hotel recs aswell. We are looking for quirky places to stay, look at etc.

The trip we have so far has to start an end in Chicago. But from
    there we have the following. Any places with dashes before
    them we are unsure of.

Chicago
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Niagara Falls, Canada
    Wellsboro, Pennsylvania
    New York City
    (We were going to go to Laurel ridge state park from there then to Dayton, OH. But we are goin to swap laurel ridge for two other stops before Fayton to break it up. I don't know what these will be yet.)
    Dayton, Ohio
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    -Peoria, Illinois
    -Iowa city, Iowa
    Chicago

So what I need from you lovely people is some locations after NY. Maybe Kentucky and West Virginia as long as there aren't more stops added or over four / five hour drives.

If you have pictures to show me then show away! I'm so excited.

2. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Welcome to The Photo Forum. :thumbup:

Thank You, for becoming a member of the community. :thumbup:

We look forward to your exciting contributions after your huge trip to America! :thumbup:

Motel 6 has an extensive network of inexpensive, though not really quirky, inns.

You might consider renting some camping gear and staying outdoors, since it's so nice out that time of year, and there are a plethora of state and national parks that could accomodate you.

Roasting marshmallows over an open fire while camping out is an American tradition.

3. JAFO28

JAFO28 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Try Philadelphia, lots to see good food.Get a philly cheese steak while your there.

4. Phranquey

Phranquey TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  5. Jettics

Jettics TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi all thanks for your help. I like the idea of camping. We were thinking about taking a tent and sleeping bags but decided that it would make us go over the baggage limit on the plane. Never thought of renting stuff though. I'd love to cook marshmallows on an open fire! We intend to go to a lot of pretty, green, hilly places. I live in Norfolk so it is super flat here.

I'd like to go to Philadelphia, it isn't too far out of our way if we cut off the Iowa part of the trip.

Is Iowa particularly scenic?

I really want to drive down some long dusty roads. Like you see in the movies. XD. Where are they?

What gear would you recommend taking for my 450d (although I might've bought a new body by the time we go...)?

6. Double H

Double H TPF Noob!

Around the corner from the Turkey Hill, PA
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Wellsboro has the 'World Famous Wellsboro Diner,' but that's about it. It's in a beautiful part of Pennsylvania, near Rt. 6 which is a very nice drive across the northern part of the state, the most mountainous. Anything on the east coast will give you lush green forests, rolling hills and valleys, and plenty of back roads to get loast on. Anything going west will give you more wide open, mostly flat areas until you get to the Rockies. Arizona is incredible, epecially Sedona, and of course the Grand Canyon. North of that is monument valley, one place I hope to get to sometime. If you are in central PA, look me up. I'll show you some of those roads you are looking for.

7. Jettics

Jettics TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ooo I want to go to a diner. We are staying in Wellsboro because it seemed a good point to drive around places like the Grand Canyon of Penn. and all that. We'll then be driving back through central/south PA after we've been to New York.

I'd love to go to Arizona and see the Grand Canyon but it is a little out of our way.

8. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you go to Philadelphia you will be 3 hours North of Washington, DC, Chesapeake Bay, Annapolis, MD and hundreds of other places that are much more varied and photogenic than Laurel Ridge State Park.

9. Jettics

Jettics TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Unfortunately that would put us a bit out of the way. We are limited to time and although driving is a big part of it we don't want it to be all of it. I'm very tempted by Philadelphia though. I shall rearrange my map tonight and see how it pans out.

10. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you plan on taking Rt. 80 back to the start, the only additional time would be the drive south to DC.
    From there you take 270 west to 70 west the breezewood where there is a virtual intersection with route 80.

The most scenic sections of the North East are New England or Washington DC area, try to hit at least one of those.

11. Jettics

Jettics TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Brilliant. I'll check it out and see if we can make it. I would love to go to Washington DC. I'm just really worried that we are putting in too much driving and that we won't get to see it all. :(

Thank you!

12. grafxman

grafxman TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    For quirky places check these links:

Illinois Tourist Attractions
    Michigan Tourist Attractions
    Ohio Tourist Attractions
    New York Tourist Attractions

Just add the 2 letter state abbreviation at the end of the URL for other states.

I usually stay at Days Inn. Make a reservation online for the best rate. They usually have free internet access.

Also I recommend you get a Garmin navigation gadget. Spend a few hundred bucks at Walmart. Check this:

Walmart.com: Electronics: GPS & Navigation for the Car, Handheld GPS Units & Fitness GPS Units

I recommend one with the speaking feature. I would be lost without mine. In fact i've been lost with it. It's very handy for getting you to specific addresses such as motels. Good ones will provide ETA, distance to go, turn right, turn left, built in street maps, etc.

They're also terrific at finding restaurants.

You should also pick up a tracfone at Walmart. They're only $20 or so. Buy an access card, activate the phone and you're good to go. Tracfone is a cell phone that has excellent coverage. When I went home to west Virginia a few years ago I checked all the cell phones Walmart offered. Tracfone was the only one with coverage in West Virginia. That state is very rural and generally doesn't much technology available. The Tracfone provided me good coverage everywhere I went.

With those 2 gadgets you can travel just about everywhere and find just about everything. Say you're headed down some dusty road you mentioned and you notice you're getting low on gas. No problem. Just go to the Garmin menu, select places of interest, select service stations and a list will come up with a whole bunch of service stations and their distance from your location. Select one and detailed visual and verbal instructions will take you straight to it.

You might be driving a long and getting hungry for some lunch. Hit the Garmin menu and select restaurants. Then you can select Italian, Chinese, French, etc. The phone number of each one is provided so you can call on your Tracfone and make sure they're open for lunch.

Hope this helps. Good luck.