Amish boy caught me by surprise C&C

Status
Not open for further replies.
SCraig said:
I disagree. How would you feel if you did something embarrassing and it was caught on camera and plastered all over the internet? Would the "When in public all are fair game" rule still apply?

I don't shoot so-called "Street" photography for this very reason. I'm of the opinion that everyone has the right to expect a modicum of privacy even in public. I only shoot people photographs when they are in a setting where they would expect to be photographed. For example in costume for an event. I do not walk down the street shooting photographs of people simply because they have an interesting expression or because it is something embarrassing to them. I treat people the way I would like to be treated, and that doesn't include somebody sticking a camera in my face simply because they feel they have a right to do so.

This shot was wrong. The OP knew that the Amish do not wish to be photographed by his own admission yet he took it anyway and put it on a forum for everyone to see. I personally feel that they have the right to their own beliefs, and I do not find this respectful of their way of life in any form.

I didn't realize the Amish guy was doing something embarrassing. Seemed pretty mundane to me.

Wild.Bird said:
Whoa! Two days ago I joined what I thought was a nice friendly forum. How could I be so wrong? This thread is U-G-L-Y!! I really hope it isn't the norm!

The Amish way of life is so very different from our own and therefore interesting. I clicked on the post because the subject interests me. If I wasn't interested, I would have never opened the post, nor would I have commented. I would have moved on to something I like. I have seen Amish boys and girls with a cell phone, taking pictures of each other. When they were done, they hopped back into the buggy and went about their business. I thought what they were doing was funny and they looked like they were having a blast.

Although I am no expert in photography, I like the picture the OP posted. I would like it better if the entire horse was shown, but since he was surprised and was taking pictures of something else, he got what he got. I say better luck next time.

Did I make a mistake joining this forum? Should I be afraid of posting a picture that might be controversial to someone? I certainly would not want to be chastised for doing so. If this really isn't the friendly forum I thought it was, would someone be so kind as to let me know?

Yes it's a horrible place and you should leave now and never come back.

Yeah it's kind of a touchy subject. I wouldn't want to be photographed but I have more respect for the rights of all our citizens over my peronal opinion on the matter.

Next thing Police Officers will be demanding rights to privacy on the job, as a public servant.

It's kinda like celebraties wanting privacy in public. It's not the photographers fault that people buy the magazines. If no one bought the tabloids then there wouldn't be a market for it.

They already are in places. I've heard reports from Europe (I can't remember which country, but it wasn't one of the usually paranoid countries like Russia) that police officers being photographed during the performance of their duties (i.e. making an arrest) have been known to confiscate cameras and arrest the photographer. As I recall the photographers were released and the cameras returned, but they were detained for a while. I think it was happening in England but it's been a couple of years and I could easily be wrong on that point.

SCraig said:
I must have missed the part where I said that he was.

Well you spoke as if he was doing something he should be ashamed of. Just sayin.

SCraig said:
I must have missed the part where I said that he was.

Well you spoke as if he was doing something he should be ashamed of. Just sayin.
I never said that sentence structure was one of my strong points ;) Reading it again I can see where you got that. My bad.

Wild.Bird said:
Did I make a mistake joining this forum? Should I be afraid of posting a picture that might be controversial to someone? I certainly would not want to be chastised for doing so. If this really isn't the friendly forum I thought it was, would someone be so kind as to let me know?

If I were to describe this forum, "friendly" would not be one of the top 5 words I would use. It might be in the top 142 words if that makes you feel any better! :salute:

Wild.Bird said:

If I were to describe this forum, "friendly" would not be one of the top 5 words I would use. It might be in the top 142 words if that makes you feel any better! :salute:

First 141 words or didn't happen

I read page one, then skimmed. So if it's been said, oh well.

I will shoot anything that interests me, period.

Now, having said that, I will take into consideration a persons request. Should a person approach me and say "blah blah and yadda yadda..please dont shoot me" I will respect their wishes. I will not simply not shoot something or someone because of a supposedly "known" belief system, created by man, interpreted by man, and screwed up constantly by man.

A person asks me not to, or I notice they are upset...I won't. Otherwise, I shoot what I want. It's my right to do so. (taking out places it's not allowed..etc...etc...not even talking about that sort of thing)

I think we help everyone along if we now close this thread.
Thus both LLD and Wild.Bird might still get the impression that this is a friendly forum, after all!
As other threads may be a lot friendlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back