Among my more expensive hobbies

CDG

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I'm 20 years old, don't drink, rarely smoke (black and milds when I do - 79 cents a cigar baby) :) , and have a terrible way of collecting junk (there's a motorcycle where my bed used to be). Well you know what they say, one man's trash and all that... So besides rebuilding a motorcycle in my dorm room, I have about 8 cameras. 2 of these cameras are movie cameras - regular 8mm to be exact.

So even though I'm extremely broke most of the time, I do like to shoot cinema film. I've shot 4 rolls to date, having been into the hobby about 6 months now. I just bought my first film editor, and I'm hoping to get some film in time for Halloween here on campus. I lurk around filmshooting.com quite a bit.

I also just bought an old "straight 8" Univex miniature camera off ebay from the late 30s. Can't wait to see what that one looks like...

Anyway, anybody here who currently shoots 8mm or other small gauge films? I was once quite overwhelmed by filming movies, but I'm starting to learn the similarities and differences between cinema and still photography.

Used to have a collection of cine cameras - 8mm, Super8 and 16mm but they disappeared around the time of my divorce... strange co-incidence.
And I can use a three bed Steenbeck, load an Arriflex and various other things to do with movies, including lighting :mrgreen:

Just bought my 3rd movie camera - a 1936 Univex A-8 sub miniature camera that shoots straight 8 film on custom made spools. I think I can make my own spools for it, and I should be able to slit Regular 8mm spools in half in order to get the long discontinued film....

But it's going to have to wait for my other projects - notably the 1974 Suzuki TS 125 that's currently in many pieces on my dorm room floor.:mrgreen:

I work as both a cinematographer and a photographer, but I wouldn't call it a hobby. You do what you are driven to do. I've shot Standard 8, Super 8, Single 8, Double Super 8, 16, Super 16, and a variety of 35 mm formats. Until I moved from to a small apartment in Manhattan I owned a fairly large collection of cameras, including two Nizo 6080s, Beaulieu 6008 and 7008, Leicina Special, three Bolex H16 RxVs, a lot of Bolex Standard 8 cameras and an Aaton XTR Prod. I couldn't bring my six-plate Steenbeck over with me either. (I guess that what Herz calls a three-bed we call a six-plate in the UK). I'll never accumulate as much valuable equipment again - it is nice to have and very painful to get rid of, but it is a real millstone.

Best,
Helen

I prefer to have simpler, more mundane cameras in my collection. My Keystone K-27 has almost no features compared with my Yashica E-III, but honestly I always prefer shooting with the Keystone for simplicity's sake.

And yeah, it definitely becomes a millstone, but I've learned to live with it. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back