Amtrak's California Zephyr

Designer

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The following photographs are from a recent trip to California and back to Iowa.

IMG_1879 - Version 2.jpg

Station at Osceola, Iowa. Note the time of day. Train is only two hours late at this point. It arrived much later that day. The woman on the left drove from Columbia, MO, and the man on the right drove from the Twin Cities. Other passengers joined us.

IMG_1914 - Version 2.jpg

Carmela and Cammy, two of the attendants in Coach Class. Can you guess which one is friendlier?

IMG_1893 - Version 2.jpg

This little girl sat on her grandfather to get a better view.

IMG_1900 - Version 2.jpg

Washing the windows at the Denver stop. They take about two seconds per pane, and it shows. That's not two seconds for wash and two for squeegee, two seconds total per pane.

IMG_1904 - Version 2.jpg

One of the old style observation cars. It is my understanding that all of these old cars are now privately owned, and apparently restored inside, although I was not privileged to peek inside. Our train had two of these old cars on the rear.

IMG_1907 - Version 2.jpg

Ordinary folks posing for a souvenir photo, also in the Denver station.

IMG_1909 - Version 2.jpg

This shot shows the relative sizes of the old and new cars. The new ones are two levels in height, where most people are in the upper level, and the lower level may have some seating for people who cannot negotiate stairs, and will have the toilets and mechanical and electrical rooms.

I'm not sure if I would ever do this again, but if I do, I will concentrate on taking photographs.

I love trains. Buzz and I took the Amtrak to Montreal 10 long years ago and we've been wanting to do it again soon. If we do, I'll also concentrate on taking photographs :)

Nice set. I would so love to travel by rail again. It's been 47 years.

Cool pics. Loved the shot of the hosts, Grumpy and Cheery!

Very cool! This southern chick has never ridden on Amtrak, so this looks like great fun. That part about the bazillion-hour delay doesn't really sound like much fun, though. :D
I did ride on a passenger train once, when I was little, from here to NC--but no Amtrak stations around here!

View attachment 103948
Carmela and Cammy, two of the attendants in Coach Class. Can you guess which one is friendlier?

The one on the left looks exactly like one of our bus operators--so much so it's scary! Right down to the "delightful" expression on her face!

Love the vintage car, nice set.

Very cool! This southern chick has never ridden on Amtrak, so this looks like great fun. That part about the bazillion-hour delay doesn't really sound like much fun, though. :D
I did ride on a passenger train once, when I was little, from here to NC--but no Amtrak stations around here!
It can be fun, just don't have a firm schedule of when you have to be someplace.

sm4him said:

Sharon, an Amtrak ride is a lot like...hmmm...lemme see if I can come up with the equivalent in Tennesee-speak. A ride on Amtrak is a lot like the ladies bathroom lines at halftime of a horrible, horrible Volunteers football drubbing during the Lane Kiffin era...people looking vacant and glassy-eyed...mostly in one's, occasionally in two's...quiet, almost resigned. There's the occasional hopped-up young person enjoying beer's marvelous but temporary in-body effects, but there's also a lot of older, wisened folks just....waiting to GET THERE, and conduct their business, then head back...

On the way back, some poor lady was going for a job interview in Boston. She had a hotel reservation that she had to cancel, but she didn't know for what day she should make the new reservation. The Amtrak conductor could only say that she first had to arrive in Chicago, then they would know what train they could put her on. Of course when that train would get to Boston is anybody's guess.

At least the Zephyr is pretty cool looking, there is that! lol I did enjoy the photos and well, you have an interesting story now and I guess not a boring trip.

enjoyed both photos and reading

Nice shots to document your trip.
Have they finished the new parking lot at the station in Ottumwa?

Cammy and Camela were the TA-C's (Train Attendant - Coach) on the train when I came back from Oregon mid-May.
The TA's ride the train for the entire 6 day round trip from Chicago, and then get 6 days off. So there are 12 or 13 crews for the Zephyr.
Engineers and Conductors only ride the train for about 8 hours because they are subject to federal hours-of-service rules. The Conductor is the head honcho on the train.

You can see the scenery, up close and personal, when you travel by train.
You don't have to jump through TSA's hoops, and you have a lot more room at your seat.

I always meet interesting and pleasant people on the train.

Nice shots to document your trip.
Have they finished the new parking lot at the station in Ottumwa?
Thank you!

Sorry, I failed to notice the parking situation in Ottumwa. (edit) Come to think about it now, I did not go through Ottumwa.
I always meet interesting and pleasant people on the train.
Ah, but you haven't met me yet. :biggrin-93:

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back