An ad I shot

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by Shutterbug, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Shutterbug

Shutterbug TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Awhile back, I was asked by a guy who ran a local magazine (Something about wine, I live in the Napa Valley) who had seen some of my photos on the net and asked me to do something for the cover of his mag.

I shot this last night:

[​IMG]

What do you think?

2. aggiezach

aggiezach Yup...

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Very nice! The shadow at the bottom of the image is kinda of distracting, but maybe thats just me. You're really enjoying your new light setup! <-- I'm jealous!

3. Shutterbug

Shutterbug TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Heh, Don't be jealous :p

It's nice having decent lights... Before I got them, I was using two desk lamps for everything XD

And as for the shadow, I needed light overhead, but I didn't have a diffusing filter for it, so the light was straight on.

4. jadin

jadin The Mad Hatter

That's terrific. But since this is the critique gallery... ;)

I'd like to see a reshoot with the grapes 'washed' and glistening. Not that it would automatically be better, but it'd be good to compare.

Secondly is your wording. "From beginning until end" I feel like I'm tripping over the words. I recommend replacing "until" with "to" or maybe "from start to finish". Or none of the above. I just don't think what you have is fluid enough.

Just my opinions. Though the concept and composition is great. Should work great for his cover.

5. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Great idea!

-However, it would be nice as Jadin pointed out to have the grapes glistening.
    -The shadow on the glass is distracting. I presume it is your equipment.
    -If I were you I would have more white space on the left and right.
    -I think it would stand out if you could have the caption in the frame instead of the border. I did not notice it until jadin pointed it out.

Cheers and all the very best! :thumbsup:

6. JonMikal

JonMikal TPF Noob!

grapes washed with the hint of morning dew. grapes and stim need to be more in focus. i would prefer a smaller f/

7. photong

photong Typo Queen

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I wish the gladd was white :(

Knpow what I learnt in school that makes a nice effect with glass? I don't know how to discribe it..but...keep the white background..but put two pieces of black cloth on both side (pout of frame)...it'll create a nice black line around the glass...i also used a background that was (I dont remember the meterial name) kind of see through..i mean..just for light? so the background was perfectly white.

Maybe instead of a something white for it to sit on..try a sheet of glass (it'll create a nice reflection)..obviously suspend it on something (like blocks of wood, so it's not on the table/ground...or you can try that, it might be the same)

I agree. I'd like to see it too. Glycerine and water.

8. Shutterbug

Shutterbug TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't have any glycerine :( so that won't work, and there are two black cards (I use sturdy cardboard) on the sides of the picture. They just were not as close as they could have been.

9. nikon90s

nikon90s TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I like it but think you should have washed the grapes, they have that dry white look on there skin. Also cut off the brown parts where grapes are no longer. but I am being picky...