An affordable beginner SLR

I think the only *new* camera you are going to find for that price, is going to be a Canon Rebel XT.

And being able to take Macro/Wide Angle shots is going to depend more on the lens, not the camera body.

You can find basic Nikon D40 kits with the 18-55 lens for $399 refurbished complete with a Nikon 90-day warranty, or about $475-499 brand new at the moment.

Sony A-100's with a kit lens are down to 399 where they are available, mostly camera shops.

• The ability to take Macro, close-ups, wide-angle Landscape, and abstract shots
Canon XT will do all the rest you ask (and using the viewfinder means the battery will last much longer). However, as has been said, these requirements are the domain of the lens and not the camera.
If you are serious about your photography interest (not going pro nessessarily) then I would go for canon or nikkon as if you get high quality glass (like L lenses for canon) then you will get some seriously good shots and also be able to upgrade your kit (body and lenses) further down the line if you choose to. Some people find companies like sony to be limiting in lens types for specific interests once they are past the starting stages.

ps - I think you will find that abstract shots are totally in the domain of the photographer ;)

[/list]Canon XT will do all the rest you ask (and using the viewfinder means the battery will last much longer). However, as has been said, these requirements are the domain of the lens and not the camera.
If you are serious about your photography interest (not going pro nessessarily) then I would go for canon or nikkon as if you get high quality glass (like L lenses for canon) then you will get some seriously good shots and also be able to upgrade your kit (body and lenses) further down the line if you choose to. Some people find companies like sony to be limiting in lens types for specific interests once they are past the starting stages.

ps - I think you will find that abstract shots are totally in the domain of the photographer ;)

Thanks Dude, you're a huge help!... Sometimes you British seem far smarter then us Americans ]:hail::lol:. (No offense to my fellow Americans!:wink::lol:).

I shoot with a D40 and 2 lenses - a nikon 18-55mm (the kit lens) and a nikon 55-200mm. If you watch for a sale, you can get this setup for $550 US. Covers all the stuff you want to do with it, and I have been able to get many sellable images with it.

Thanks Dude, you're a huge help!... Sometimes you British seem far smarter then us Americans ]:hail::lol:. (No offense to my fellow Americans!:wink::lol:).

LOL!

Dare I point out the irony there?

:: runs before someone bounces a rock off my head :D ::

Most reactions

Back