limr

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
moderndinosaur.wordpress.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Thought I'd play with some intentional camera movement. Tried two shots on the last roll I shot with the Maxxum; this was the better of the two. What do we think?

ICM Trees
by limrodrigues, on Flickr

I'll go with it's not bad and it's worth it to keep at it. I like intentionally blurred photos but it's really hard to get a good one. You have to shoot a lot for small returns, but when you get a really good one it's worth it. I've made some past attempts but never tried hard enough to get that good one.

Joe

Agree with Joe. It's not bad, but keep trying. Preferably with a digital camera, haha. :p

I can't choose one of your options, because my immediate, GUT reaction was: "Hey, that looks exactly like every attempt I've ever made at the intentional movement photo."

I won't tell you whether to interpret that as a good thing or a bad thing, although it might be significant to note I've never posted one of my attempts on the forum. Or anywhere else online. Or shown them to another living soul. :biglaugh:

Good intentional movement photos are HARD. They require, really, only 3 things to make them work--unfortunately, I don't know what those 3 things are. :lol:

This was my second attempt. First attempt was deplorable (but I actually did post it on the forum, haha). I've been meaning to remove that white streak in the lower half of the pole...

Walnut.jpg

I'll go with it's not bad and it's worth it to keep at it. I like intentionally blurred photos but it's really hard to get a good one. You have to shoot a lot for small returns, but when you get a really good one it's worth it. I've made some past attempts but never tried hard enough to get that good one.

Joe

Thanks for the feedback! I've only tried a handful so far and this was the first one that looked like it was at least intentional, so it's nice to know I'm at least starting to get there.

Agree with Joe. It's not bad, but keep trying. Preferably with a digital camera, haha. :p

Yeah, I might have to concede the advantage to digital when it comes to practicing this ;) The only digital camera I have, other than the one on my phone, is a point and shoot. I suppose I can still try it with that camera and see what it can do.

I can't choose one of your options, because my immediate, GUT reaction was: "Hey, that looks exactly like every attempt I've ever made at the intentional movement photo."

I won't tell you whether to interpret that as a good thing or a bad thing, although it might be significant to note I've never posted one of my attempts on the forum. Or anywhere else online. Or shown them to another living soul. :biglaugh:

Good intentional movement photos are HARD. They require, really, only 3 things to make them work--unfortunately, I don't know what those 3 things are. :lol:

I will read nothing into it, but will mention that I am bored at work, and that leads to posting new threads ;)

I seem to have voted with everyone else here. Agree completely with other comments - I try some of this and it's only on rare occasions that I get anything I'm willing to show. Keep at it and enjoy!

Created sort of a screen mesh look so more like a texture (just saw you already put Texture in the Flickr tags). That scene says go with vertical motion blur, the difference between the dark trunks and light spaces would increase and the branches would blur out.

I seem to have voted with everyone else here. Agree completely with other comments - I try some of this and it's only on rare occasions that I get anything I'm willing to show. Keep at it and enjoy!

Thanks, Ken!

Created sort of a screen mesh look so more like a texture (just saw you already put Texture in the Flickr tags). That scene says go with vertical motion blur, the difference between the dark trunks and light spaces would increase and the branches would blur out.

Interesting. Do you mean directly vertical or sort of diagonal like Wade's shot? (And technically, Flickr added the "texture" tag. It's doing that these days, I guess - auto tagging photos. So I can't take credit for the tag.)

Personally, prior to wasting (more :) )film. I'd do some research and find some successful images to emulate or minutely examine to see what works and what doesn't work. There are a lot of choices, WA vs Tele, Shallow DOF vs Max. DOF, handheld movement vs tripod/controlled movement, et al ... detailed/cluttered scene vs. clean/minimalistic scene, et cetera.

Personally, prior to wasting (more :) )film. I'd do some research and find some successful images to emulate or minutely examine to see what works and what doesn't work. There are a lot of choices, WA vs Tele, Shallow DOF vs Max. DOF, handheld movement vs tripod/controlled movement, et al ... detailed/cluttered scene vs. clean/minimalistic scene, et cetera.

Yeah, I hadn't really done a lot of looking around yet. I was mostly going by what I'd seen here - Pixie does a lot of these tree shots and Carolyn has some flowers on Flickr. But there are a lot of possibilities that I should explore.

TPF Alternate Universe Poll.jpg

What kind of TPF Alternate Universe have I awakened into this morning? All SIX of us have voted identically? WTF?

What kind of TPF Alternate Universe have I awakened into this morning? All SIX of us have voted identically? WTF???

It's pretty bizarre, isn't it?

And I must say, it's nice that the agreement isn't that I totally suck! :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back