An experiment in exposure metering.

Ron Evers

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
In the country 60km north of Toronto, Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I mounted the camera on a tripod & set it to manual mode with the ISO set to 200 & white balance set on sunlight. I maintained f 5.6 for all three shots varying the shutter speed for the meter readings. The camera is about 10' from the subject.

The first pic uses the camera meter nulled, the second uses a Lunasix F meter in reflected light mode from the camera position & the third using the meter in incident light mode measured at the subject facing the camera. All the pictures are right off the camera.

Pic #1 camera metering f 5.6, 1/400

IMG_0991.jpg

Pic#2 meter reading from camera f 5.6, 1/800

IMG_0992.jpg

Pic #3 meter reading from subject f 5.6, 1/500

IMG_0993.jpg

In my opinion, pic #3 has the best exposure, metering back from the subject. What say you folk.

I like number two, I think it shows the best colors of the flowers. If you're going for overall, like including the swing behind it I would agree with you. When I look at the picture though, my eyes are drawn immediately to the flowers.

I get your point realitycheck3907 .

I have seen debate here on the forum with regard to exposure of any given photo & was wondering how this little experiment of mine would be viewed by the critics. I must say I am disappointed with the response to this thread.

I'm not expert, but I like #2 as well. The white flowers at the top seem a bit blown out in the others.

you know what .... I loved all of them :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back