An idea for TPF that I would need all of your help with!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Chase, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Chase

Chase I am now benign! Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi gang,

For a while now I've been hoping to start adding more content to the site with things like articles, tutorials, etc. One of my goals has been to develop a beginners guide to photography. Many people who join TPF are brand new to photography and are looking to gain the basic knowledge to get started and I think it would be great to have a clear resource for them to reference.

The more I've thought about a creating a guide, the more I realized just how daunting a task it would be. I also came to the conclusion that it would likely be a long-term work in progress that I would probably post in sections as the new content became available. The other problem was simply that I don't feel qualified to write enough good content. This is where you all come in!

What would you all think of a community-written guide to photograhy? I'm looking at a new homepage that would allow the creation of "books" with multiple chapters and a built-in navigation system to get throught he information. We could collectively build a table of contents to cover all of the topics we want to hit and then anyone could choose areas to go ahead and build content. Once written and submitted, it would be hidden until it can be reviewed by an editing team (for which I'd ask for volunteers) and they would then be able to publish the content.

I'd love to get your thoughts on a project like this and get a feel for how many of you would be interested in contributing to the project. You would input your content directly into a web page along with any images you want to include as examples. Please let me know your thoughts and if you'd be interested!

Thanks,
    Chase

2. omeletteman

omeletteman TPF Noob!

Looks like I'm the first to read this...
    I think thats a great idea Chase. I don't think I would be qualified to write tutorials (leave that to the more experienced members of the board) but I would definately be willing to help in the editing process.

3. Corry

Corry Flirtacious and Bodacious Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I THINK IT'S A GREAT IDEA! Maybe some really cool person will send you in a tutorial on making your own backdrop? OH WAIT, SOMEONE ALREADY DID!!!

Now it's just up to the rest of you lovely TPF members to contribute an article of your own expertise. :mrgreen:

4. PlasticSpanner

PlasticSpanner TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That's me out then! :lol::blushing:

I'm no expert in anything photography wise but if I can help then count me in!:thumbup:

5. Chase

Photos OK to edit
    Just keep in mind that the beginners guide will cover all of the extremely basic topics as well as getting to some that are a bit more in depth. Compiling a glossary of photography terms (like what we have in one of the threads here) is a good example of a component that anyone could help with. :D

6. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm down for editing. :thumbup: Chase, you could have used a comma (,) after the word "topics" in your post down there, for example. No one likes a run-on sentence. :mrgreen:

7. duncanp

duncanp TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    would the guide be posted on a webpage on the website or in the forums?

cos on the website i think you could do a good job skinning it and im sure peeps on this forum have some scripting knowledge

8. wolfepakt

wolfepakt TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I am all for it! I am a budding photog now that a have a 1/2 way decent camera! I need to learn lots! I would love to read something like that!

9. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'd be more than happy with any help needed!

10. Chase

Photos OK to edit
    It will be part of a new homepage setup we're working on outside of the forum.

11. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Anything I can do to help...I'm in. :thumbsup:

12. Matty-Bass

Matty-Bass TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm in! That sounds like a great idea! I, for one, would like to know some more in-depth stuff. In the end, it'll help reduce bandwidth usage from all the n00bs asking which camera to buy, etc. Sounds good! I can edit or do whatever. English is my strongest subject. I have a 97% English average in school right now! :mrgreen: As well as 90's in the rest of my cores. I'm done bragging now! :p