An Interview with a Mod : Oriecat

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by manda, Oct 18, 2004.

1. manda

manda instigator of pottymouthedness

Interviewee: Melinda/Mindy AKA Oriecat

[​IMG]

How did you find TPF and what made you stay?

I was browsing this fabulous photography website called Shutterfly (which just happens to be run by a dear friend of mine) and I came across it in the links. I decided to check it out, since I had just recently (at that time) decided to get back into my own photography. I stayed because I found a site full of wonderful people, who shared their enthusiasm for and knowledge of photography with me.

Please explain to the members what oriecat means. It sounds like a sorry accident a cat had with a cookie.

hehehe Smile Well many years ago, when I first got the internet at work, I didn't even have it at home yet and it was all very new to me... I decided to try an online dating kinda thing and I needed a username. Well being new to the net I certainly wasn't going to give it my name! So I didn't know who to be... I looked up and saw the pic of my cat Orie that I keep on my desk at work (as every good cat mom should) and I decided to use that. It was taken. Someone on the internet (aside from me!) was impersonating my cat. Then I didn't know what to do... well she's a cat, so throw cat on the end of it, and there I am. I've been oriecat online ever since. And yes, she was originally named Oreo after the cookies, but when I got her I didn't like it, but I didn't think it was right to change a name she'd had from 8 weeks. So I just shortened it.

Tell us about the love of your life.

Depeche Mode? They are this fabulous band from England.... oh you mean Michael? Wink He is a wonderful caring person. Full of creative ambition, I don't know where he gets all his ideas. If it's not a new idea for a screenplay, it's a beautiful acoustic guitar piece. He's the best friend I've ever had and I sometimes think he's the only person that knows the real me. He's also pretty messy and he eats too much mac & cheese.

We heard through the grapevine that you were the offcial photographer for a movie. Could you tell us a bit about that?

Michael and our friend Rich decided one day after watching Plan 9 from Outer Space that they wanted to do that too. So they wrote a crazy script about a mad scientist and his beautiful wife and a rock star and a giant killer robot and alien vampires, and thought we could make it in a weekend! Well two and a half years later... yeah it's not done. But almost now. I've been doing a lot of behind the scenes shots for it and that's been a lot of fun. You can see our crappy website at www.panel3productions.com! I really need to spiff that thing up...

What does your typical Saturday look like?

I usually sleep in, check my forums, then shower and head downtown. I volunteer every Saturday from Noon to 5 at the Blue Sky Gallery here in Portland, which is exclusively a photography gallery. That's a lot of fun. I get to see a lot of new photography and I get to talk to a lot of interesting people each week. After that, Michael and I will often go out to dinner or spend the evening at a friend's house. Nothing too exciting... we're getting old and boring...

You are very good friends with the coolest moderator here, does having said moderator as a friend help or hinder your time here?

Definitely helps! I figure I could get away with a lot of stuff and she'd stick up for me. Wink Not that I'd ever really try that tho! :innocentninja:

What is one issue on the planet that you really get worked up about?

There are so many issues going on in the world right now, it's hard to find the time to get worked up about just any one. But lately due to the importance of the upcoming US elections, I get really worked up over George W Bush and the anti-gay marriage bible-thumping assclowns. (Am I allowed to say assclowns?)

If you weren't a photographer, what would you be?

I'd probably be a little richer, I wouldn't have had to buy this house so I could have a darkroom... I honestly don't know. I got my first camera in the 8th grade and from then on I wanted to be a photographer. I never explored any other artistic outlets, so I don't know where else I could have ended up.

Interviewed by Amanda

Thanks Mindy! :love:

2. Lula

Lula Cracks-Up At Crazy Titles!

Hehhehe trés cool!

:D

3. hobbes28

hobbes28 Incredible Supporting Member

Good answers, good answers... It's funny to read these and imagine the looks people make when they think up these answers.

4. MDowdey

MDowdey Guest

nice job orie!

md

5. Corry

Corry Flirtacious and Bodacious Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Awesome Orie!!! I'm learning so much about everyone now...

6. Alison

Alison Swiss Army Friend Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Great job! It's fun to get to know everyone a bit better.

7. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That was a fun read! :D And I just love that grainy B&W of you, it's so film noir-ish....it suits you.

8. Karalee

Karalee hOtLiPs!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Awesome interview Miss Oriecat! That was really neat.

9. anua

anua TPF Noob!

great interview, orie!
    and i really like this portrait - is it self portrait?

10. oriecat

oriecat work in progress

Thanks! Yes, it is. It was printed through tissue paper for the softening.

11. anua

anua TPF Noob!

:shock: amazing! i love the grain! :D

12. oriecat

oriecat work in progress

It was actually taken on 50 asa film, so it showed like every pore on my face. It was frightening. That's why I had to do something to disguise it and used the tissue paper to give it the texture and hide the details.