An Orange Gerber In My New Light Tent

Discussion in 'Landscape & Cityscape' started by Michael L., Nov 24, 2007.

1. Michael L.

Michael L. TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    [​IMG]

I'm debating if I should take the little cup out of the picture in photoshop. I want to, but my mom doesn't think so. What do you think?

Taken with a Canon Rebel XT, 1.6 seconds, 50mm. lens, f/5.6, ISO 100, in my new homemade light tent.

2. Joey28

Joey28 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It dosen't have much color and the focal point is dead center in the middle. Perhaps you could add some blue into the cup to compliment the orange. And crop a little of the negative space there is too much.

I'm good in art but just learning photography so you might want to wait until somone experienced can help you but thats just what I would do...

3. Joxby

Joxby TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I clicked on this just to find out what a gerber was, I was thinking something small and furry:lol:.
    The background isn't white, if your happy with the space either side of the flower I think it needs a little more space top and bottom to even things up.
    Or crop, I kinda feel like pulling away from it a bit though, smaller in a big white space and using that glass.
    The glass is kinda halfway, either make it part of the subject or lose it alltogether.
    The flower head is nicely lit, maybe its missing a few petals, I think this is a little too damaged, it doesn't have to be perfect though.
    Dead center is fine with me, its actually a little to the left.
    Attention to detail is the name of the game in a frame where only the flower head exists.
    Luv the concept of that orange on flat white...

4. Michael L.

Michael L. TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    [​IMG]

How about this. It's a different flower, and I tried to get a little bit of a different effect. I might PS the shadow on the right out when I get to my other computer.

5. Dynamic

Dynamic TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Its not bad but do you really need that cup in there ? How about finding something a bit more 'flower like' as this cup reminds me of ... beer :lol:
    Can you leave the stem on the flower and photograph it with the stem and no cup ? Anyways, I like your idea of a 'home made light tent'. I think you've got something good happening, just keep experimenting and keep posting !

6. petey

petey TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    what did you make your light tent out of, if you don't mind me asking?

7. Michael L.

Michael L. TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    A cardboard wine crate, some white fabric, and white posterboard. I can post a DIY thread later on.

8. petey

petey TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    cool. i was just curious. it does a great job.

9. The Phototron

The Phototron TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    There's color cast on the white background from the flower. Fix it on photoshop.

10. Michael L.

Michael L. TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Okay, so I'm going to fix the crop, the colour cast, and the cup as soon as I can. I used the cup intentionally, hoping I could PS it out. I figured it would be very easy to do after seeing the effects in photo one. Thanks for the comments.

11. Coldow91

Coldow91 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

That'd be very helpful

12. Joxby

Joxby TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    *sigh*

The idea is when using a light tent, or anything really background or otherwise, is to shoot the thing for real, as if what comes out of the camera is the finished article.
    Bugger the glass for the time being, dont photoshop nothin, shoot the damn flower with a white background and no shadow using the light/reflectors/light tent you have.
    This is what its all about, nobody said it was easy, I cant tell you how much more you'll learn by doing it properly.
    Now I see your 2nd attempt, I think you allready upped the brightness in the first one, and it didn't work did it, the result will be the same with the 2nd one because you simply dont have enough light in the background.
    Equipment can be a limiting factor, but photoshop puts the brakes on any kind of photographic learning process.
    You will need to do some minor adjustments in an edit program, IMO photoshop is by far the biggest barrier to photo competancy you will ever have to deal with.
    and it makes my arse itch....soooo bad..