Ancient Abbey

OBrien

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I was driving past Holycross Abbey the other day and had to jump out for a few minutes. it was a horrible flat grey day, so I did a bit of photoshopping -any comments welcome.

HolycrossAbbey1.jpg

HolycrossAbbeyDoor.jpg

ok I don't like ps because for me those pictures are simple graphics, not longer a photography, and I think that those should be posted in different thread. but the first one is very interesting. The bird was originally in the shot or you just placed it there?

The bird was there - I didn't do anything to the first one except play with the sky's temperature and contrast a bit to lift it from a blanket grey. The second one is as taken, with a spotlight filter applied to the carving in ps for an effect.

I have reservations about the use of ps myself, and what is "acceptable" or otherwise. But as a newcomer to it, I'm enjoying learning some of the techniques and possibilities. I think different standards need to be applied to photojounalism or reportage than someone using ps to create "art" - not that I'm in either camp!

in number 1...you can easily see that the background is different than the original:1.If the sky was that color, i don't think the building would look like that 2.straight lines where you cropped out the old background on the peak in the center of the building

Neophyte - I didn't actually crop the background, but I do see the effect you're talking about. Just for reference, here is the original. If anyone wants to play with it and post the results, I'd be delighted.

DSC_0068.jpg

What about trying the second one in B&W?

I would also consider cropping the left side of the first one. Take out the gate and sign.

I actually like the second version better.

you need a way smaller aperture with that shot. To me there is almost zero DOF, and yes, my monitor is calibrated. The PS'ed one looks even flatter.

Most reactions

Back