And now, for my 1000th post. I went to see Earl.

benlonghair

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I had the day off yesterday, and wanted to avoid the thousands of people coming to the local agricultural fair (which is a mile down the road from me) so I went to my family's cottage to pull in anything that could get blown away by Earl and to generally see what I could see.

First one was early, before the first major rain squall hit. This guy wasn't really pleased with the whole hurricane thing. Although he was happy enough to eat the crabs and things washing up.

seagullDSC_0013 by ben_long_hair, on Flickr

Then there were some waves. Waves are actually pretty difficult to photograph while trying to not get swept away, or have your camera get soaked.

wavesDSC_0447 by ben_long_hair, on Flickr

wavesDSC_0070 by ben_long_hair, on Flickr

Agreed with the above. Waves are tough because there is no perspective. I live on the Jersey shore and had the same dilema yesterday. I showed up in Belmar, NJ, near where I work. I arrived to every photographer's nightmare- 1000 other photographers with the same idea- photograph the hurricane.

I shot 4 pictures from the boardwalk, just for documentary purposes. They're not worth showing.

Back to waves- hard to get scale. In Hawaii, those are small, calm waves. Where you are, maybe they're huge! So unless you know the context in which the photo was taken (an approaching hurricane), they don't hold up that way.

I do like the 3rd one, a bit dramatic with the water in the foreground.

Another angry seagull. And ya, after I downloaded them, I realized that they it doesn't work without perspective. I liked those for the color and perspective.

seagullDSC_0015 by ben_long_hair, on Flickr

#1 is great.
#2 & #3 Well, they just need a lower shutter speed

And #4 is as good as the first one, but a tight crop would make it even more epic.

Most reactions

Back