and one other - thanks in advance

tahmail

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I Know this is a bit overexposed - I didn't have an ND or polarizing filter - how could I have saved the foreground detail while darkening the background?
DSC_0092.jpg

This shot REALLY needed a polariser and probably a different time of day.

The only way I know to save the foreground detail while darkening the background would be HDR - high dynamic range. I'm personally no good at it, but I've seen some very nice shots with it. If you do a search you can find all kinds of information about it here.

This is an incredible shot that could have been even more so. And can still be made to be even more incredible with post editing. You did well. Thanks for sharing.

You can throw a well feathered lasso around it and selectively work on the bright background. This is what I would do.
For otehr than the bright background this is a wonderful view and I much appreciate all those little shadows on the near slope!

Good observation Christie Photo. The first one was taken at sunup from a high vantage point and this shot was taken around mid PM when the winds picked up on the peak behind. I need to break down and shell out the $ for some editing software and start learning the process. Would a two step ND filter have enhanced this shot?

It would certainly have reduced the brightness of the sky making it easier for you to enhance the foreground detail. But a polarising filter would have done the same and really deepened the the blue sky. I love my polarising filter, I never take the camera out without it!
It's a really nice photo as it stands but with the polariser...WOW!

Would a two step ND filter have enhanced this shot?

I've not done much of this sort of work, but my thought is... you need SOME direct light to capture the rich reds of the stone, but enough shadow to communicate the texture and shape. So.... I'm imagining the sun at an angle that allows light to skim across the rock face. Again, that red will really pop against the cool background.

What a breathtaking view! The wind swept peaks in the background, the evergreens against the snow, providing scale, the dry grasses in the foreground adding texture... It's just a wonderful view. I can imagine the feeling of being there.

Pete

It's definitely a stunning view. There's so much to look at. Several different layers to study.

Defintly a polarizer would have helped, but this can probably be 'fixed' in photoshop without HDR. I would make a duplicate layer, play around with curves until you are happy with the sky, create a layer mask, use a gradient tool one that and take out some of the rock on the far right.

What a pleasing view :)

Edit: With your permission I would be willing to give it a go in PS

ps: It looks as if you might have some dust on your sensor in the upper right.

It would certainly have reduced the brightness of the sky making it easier for you to enhance the foreground detail. But a polarising filter would have done the same and really deepened the the blue sky. I love my polarising filter, I never take the camera out without it!
It's a really nice photo as it stands but with the polariser...WOW!

Agreed. I'm addicted to my polarizing filter. It's a necessity if you're shooting landscapes. Really, try one and you'll be hooked!

I've changed by profile to allow editing. I'm eager to see what can be done because I've never altered a shot. Thanks for all the input here.

Ah, thanks for that, now I could try my selective treatment (by using the lasso tool at 80 pixels) on the sky, and a further bit on the rock, highlighting that more and adding a tad more red (+5) and a tad more yellow (+10) to it. The rock later had a bit of a halo :)oops: ), that I tried to counteract with the burn tool. When all was done, I yet again added a curves layer at 70% with only very, very mild adjustments to the curve:

tahmail_DSC_0092_myedit.jpg

The contrast on Pikes Peak is much improved without getting the red rocks of Garden of the Gods too dark. Thanks - I've ordered some editing software so the learning curve goes up again!

Most reactions

Back