And she's officially one.

JonA_CT

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
and one year olds present unique challenges from photo ops.

I really like this one, save for the uneven lighting and the background...if anyone has any PP suggestions, I'm all ears.

turtles-7.jpg

And I like this one, because it's her "I'm gonna get you" face

turtles-11.jpg

I really like this one, save for the uneven lighting and the background...if anyone has any PP suggestions, I'm all ears.

View attachment 124919

View attachment 124920
Save the second one for her wedding reception!

What a cutie! That 2nd shot is a winner.

The second is so cute and very well shot!

The first, you already know where improvement lies. Here's what I'd do with that shot, since her expression and eyes are so beautiful.

I like close ups and tight crops, understandably not everyone's taste, your mileage may vary :)

Attachments

• turtles-7crop.jpg
    turtles-7crop.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 82
I'm not a People photographer, to say the least, however, I love #2. I think it is welcome composed, well focused and exposed and the model is nothing less than precious.

She's adorable and the photos are well captured. Here's some processing tips:

year_one.jpg

In your originals her skin color is way too blue. I only had the low-res JEPG so all I did was shift color in the entire photo till I got an appropriate skin color -- some of the other colors in the image may be a little wacky. I also suppressed the background a bit so she'd stand out more.

Joe

Last edited:

View attachment 124919

View attachment 124920

Thanks! Storing things for the future is always a little interesting in this age, right? I need to start going through my archives form the last year and make sure that I save the ones that I need in a safer way.

The first, you already know where improvement lies. Here's what I'd do with that shot, since her expression and eyes are so beautiful.

I like close ups and tight crops, understandably not everyone's taste, your mileage may vary :)

I think it works pretty nicely...thanks for the idea!

I'm not a People photographer, to say the least, however, I love #2. I think it is welcome composed, well focused and exposed and the model is nothing less than precious.

Thanks1

View attachment 124934

In your originals her skin color is way too blue. I only had the low-res JEPG so all I did was shift color in the entire photo till I got an appropriate skin color -- some of the other colors in the image may be a little wacky. I also suppressed the background a bit so she'd stand out more.

Joe

Joe, I always appreciate your responses. White balance is one of those things that I constantly struggle with, especially with my daughter because her skin is so fair (or maybe that should make it easier?).

How do you do background separation? I'm still very much a novice in Photoshop, and played with a couple ideas but I'm not really sure where to start so I end up getting frustrated after awhile. Even if you can tell me the real name for it, I can investigate on my own. Thanks!

Thanks! Storing things for the future is always a little interesting in this age, right? I need to start going through my archives form the last year and make sure that I save the ones that I need in a safer way.

Print it, frame it, enjoy it!!!

As for storing things for the future, currently I'm using Amazon for cloud storage and also have a back up external hard drive and some redundancy with the less dependable Flickr and Google photos storage. Also, I like to print my favorite family shots and put them in an album or photo book. Realize that not everything you print has to be a wall hanger (although this one is certainly cute enough). They grow up fast so keep that camera ready but try to also leave it behind sometimes and just enjoy some of those precious moments.

View attachment 124919

View attachment 124920

I think it works pretty nicely...thanks for the idea!

Thanks1

View attachment 124934

Joe

Joe, I always appreciate your responses. White balance is one of those things that I constantly struggle with, especially with my daughter because her skin is so fair (or maybe that should make it easier?).

How do you do background separation? I'm still very much a novice in Photoshop, and played with a couple ideas but I'm not really sure where to start so I end up getting frustrated after awhile. Even if you can tell me the real name for it, I can investigate on my own. Thanks!

I saw that you used LR to edit the photo. You can suppress (darken) the background using the Adjustment brush. I'd brush over the entire photo and darken it then erase the brush effect on her. I used Photoshop and created a mask for her then used a multiply blend to darken the background. The trick is being able to create the mask effectively and efficiently. The topic to search would be Photoshop layer masks. The LR Adjustment brush is faster and easier but less precise.

Here's a down-dirty way to approach the skin color issue:

skin_color.jpg

IN THE sRGB COLORSPACE (numbers will change with colorspace) we can ask the question, what color is human skin? I called this down-dirty because we're going to make it really simple and use just a single value.

(Better precision will come from using denser data. Here's a good tutorial from Andrew Rodney.)

Back to down-dirty; we can calculate an average for human skin. For the human race at large (sRGB colorspace) it's a hue value of 20. Variation is less than one might suspect. Asian = 22, African/American = 20, Caucasian = 19. Individual variations from the average are also less than one would suspect. So here we have a Caucasian strawberry blonde (-1) who is still very young (-1) = 17. That doesn't mean this child meets that average specifically but without a WB reference for the shot it's a best guess and you can see that's what I did. I put the photo in Photoshop and on the assumption her forehead should be hue = 17 made the adjustment.

The variation to hue = 328 (50 points!!) is way past anything that would be naturally occurring.

Easiest way to solve this is to shoot a WB reference and/or set a custom WB from a reference. I use a piece of white Styrofoam cut from the bottom of a food tray.

Joe

Last edited:
I really love the second one, it is priceless! :)
The first one is great to, but it looks like it focused on her hair and not her eyes, and I like the tighter crop better. Even though it is a little soft, it is still a nice photo! :)

What an adorable little girl! Love number 2.

I saw that you used LR to edit the photo. You can suppress (darken) the background using the Adjustment brush. I'd brush over the entire photo and darken it then erase the brush effect on her. I used Photoshop and created a mask for her then used a multiply blend to darken the background. The trick is being able to create the mask effectively and efficiently. The topic to search would be Photoshop layer masks. The LR Adjustment brush is faster and easier but less precise.

Here's a down-dirty way to approach the skin color issue:

View attachment 124937

IN THE sRGB COLORSPACE (numbers will change with colorspace) we can ask the question, what color is human skin? I called this down-dirty because we're going to make it really simple and use just a single value.

(Better precision will come from using denser data. Here's a good tutorial from Andrew Rodney.)

Back to down-dirty; we can calculate an average for human skin. For the human race at large (sRGB colorspace) it's a hue value of 20. Variation is less than one might suspect. Asian = 22, African/American = 20, Caucasian = 19. Individual variations from the average are also less than one would suspect. So here we have a Caucasian strawberry blonde (-1) who is still very young (-1) = 17. That doesn't mean this child meets that average specifically but without a WB reference for the shot it's a best guess and you can see that's what I did. I put the photo in Photoshop and on the assumption her forehead should be hue = 17 made the adjustment.

The variation to hue = 328 (50 points!!) is way past anything that would be naturally occurring.

Easiest way to solve this is to shoot a WB reference and/or set a custom WB from a reference. I use a piece of white Styrofoam cut from the bottom of a food tray.

Joe

Thanks so much for this explanation, Joe. I'm finishing up my trip at my in-laws in Texas and won't have a chance to do much with these, but I will post back when I can and see if I was able to make any improvements.

Most reactions

Back