And thus, the infestation begins!

Making film is no big secret. It's how the craft got start. No one started to make a film emulsion sensitive to light, and thensomeone came along and said, "Hey, if I put this in a dark box with a lens opposite it, I can record the light and develop it into an image!'

Meaning: There may come the day when commercially-made film will no longer be available. But the recipes will remain and there will be those who will make their own emulsions. And people even today make their own film.

And the same applies to the chemistry. Home-made concoctions abound.

Making film is no big secret. It's how the craft got start. No one started to make a film emulsion sensitive to light, and thensomeone came along and said, "Hey, if I put this in a dark box with a lens opposite it, I can record the light and develop it into an image!'

Meaning: There may come the day when commercially-made film will no longer be available. But the recipes will remain and there will be those who will make their own emulsions. And people even today make their own film.

Yeah, the developer I'm not so worried about ;) *coughcough*CAFFENOL*coughcough*

Though fixer might be trickier to come by. I've heard encouraging but gross accounts of using urine...

Yeah, the developer I'm not so worried about ;) *coughcough*CAFFENOL*coughcough*

Though fixer might be trickier to come by. I've heard encouraging but gross accounts of using urine...

It's not so much as buying fixer (which would obviously disappear soon after film anyway), but the acquisition of the components to take it yourself.

Oh I know that. I make my own developer but not my own fixer, so if commercially-made fixer went away, I'd have to figure out a recipe and get ingredients. Or find an alternative fixer recipe.

And salt

Tks Leonora.
Now it brings question: is there any non commercially available photographic film ?

Good question. I suppose that could mean private sales of expired film? I can stock up on film now while it's still available and then when the companies go out of business, I can start selling my stock.

Except I'll have used it up long before I could sell any of it ;)
Expired film was also made commercially. Fuji Velvia to.
The only form of non commercially made photographic emulsion would be home made wet plate. But even then we need commercially made photographic quality chemical components. I am not sure about making this chemicals in basement based chemical lab. Now, what's the chances for that ?

There's a guy who does workshops at the George Eastman House who's been doing tintypes etc. and I read recently is making film as well. Not sure about fixer, is it time to start hoarding it?? lol That's all I need for lumen prints, well that and old expired paper, I can't live without it!

Not sure about fixer, is it time to start hoarding it?? lol That's all I need for lumen prints, well that and old expired paper, I can't live without it!

'Hypo' (AKA Sodium Thiosulfate) has been used a fixer for many years. Even if it's not being sold as fixer it will still be available. Other options are also readily available.

so take a step back in time and go buy a film camera. :biglaugh:

That alone won't help, it's FILM you need people buying.
There is no problem getting film
how may versions have they stopped making? Don't know about you, but locally here all i find is a couple fuji versions. I go to the bh website they aren't exactly over burdened with options either. And bh pretty much delves deep. so how many companies or versions/asa are even left anymore compared to thirty years ago? It really is dying. I don't even know if they teach dark room in a photography course anymore. I am generation x, i might have been the last generation between the film and digital age to have a little experience with both. we were sort of in that transitional period with the end of film. Generations after, all digital...

It will, not just available. But the less they make, the higher the price. cost feasibility becomes a concern. Like buying polaroid film from the impossible project (assuming they stay in business which is questionable). Want to spend five bucks a shot? twenty bucks a shot? As less is sold, production decreases, prices increase. It will very much be a novelty. Why i am back to shooting it. You know i am one of the ONLY people i know that have film shots of their children? No joke. Everyones grandparents or parents have them of them. But most my age, all their photos of their children are digital. They seem shocked i have film shots of my kids. They ask why. How odd is that?

how may versions have they stopped making? Don't know about you, but locally here all i find is a couple fuji versions. I go to the bh website they aren't exactly over burdened with options either. And bh pretty much delves deep. so how many companies or versions/asa are even left anymore compared to thirty years ago? It really is dying. I don't even know if they teach dark room in a photography course anymore. I am generation x, i might have been the last generation between the film and digital age to have a little experience with both. we were sort of in that transitional period with the end of film. Generations after, all digital...
In the UK it is easy to get film, google darkroom hire in UK and you will find you are no more than 25 miles from one unless you live in Scotland, I can go into town and buy colour film for £1 a roll for Agfa Vista or I can get Portra 160/400 and HP5/ FP4 but I buy all mine bulk, at the moment I have 80 feet of Kodalith, 60 feet of Orwo UN54, 300feet Kodak double X and about 20 feet of HP5, 10 roll of original Agfa APX100 and about 5 slide films [emoji3]

In the UK it is easy to get film, google darkroom hire in UK and you will find you are no more than 25 miles from one unless you live in Scotland, I can go into town and buy colour film for £1 a roll for Agfa Vista or I can get Portra 160/400 and HP5/ FP4 but I buy all mine bulk, at the moment I have 80 feet of Kodalith, 60 feet of Orwo UN54, 300feet Kodak double X and about 20 feet of HP5, 10 roll of original Agfa APX100 and about 5 slide films [emoji3]
you guys are usually a little behind the u.s. (time wise) . Just wait. Most of you probably don't even have cable tv or indoor plumbing........ LMAO

you guys are usually a little behind the u.s. (time wise) . Just wait. Most of you probably don't even have cable tv or indoor plumbing........ LMAO

Can't see why I'd want cable TV. I've got plenty of channels from freeview (digital terrestrial TV) and the various internet catchup channels could leave me with no time for photography!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back