And... we have further progression.

AaronLLockhart

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Once again, I just wanted to say thanks to everyone here for the advice and strong amount of true criticism given in the posts I have made here. Of course, I know shooting more will cause me to get better, but without understanding the things some of you all have brought me to understand, none of this progression would have been possible.

Here is a photo I had taken after being here just a few months:

$DSC_0239_WEB.jpg

And here is one I took here recently. I am now using strobes in an external environment to add a dramatic feel to my images, and to keep the exposure on point:

$TerryShootWEB.jpg

I am also now a full time photographer, and business is seeming to get better as my knowledge grows.

Once again, thank you all very much! The information given here is invaluable.

I guess your clients don't mind having their feet cut off, huh? I would work on your lighting more.. it needs it! Coon eye on that left eye socket (subjects left)

I guess your clients don't mind having their feet cut off, huh? I would work on your lighting more.. it needs it! Coon eye on that left eye socket (subjects left)

Actually, the client asked for his feet not to be included, since he was wearing "toe shoes."

However, I guess you'd assumed it to be better for you to make a sarcastic remark toward the matter, instead of maturely becoming interested in a genuine answer.

As for the lighting, I'll work on it. Thanks.

Whatever that is on the end of the guitar neck is super distracting. Regardless what the client requested, the chopped off feet are just wrong. Some fill flash might have helped. Overall, I like the composition, though, and how the subjects fit with the background.

My point was... that if you want to be professional, then post only professional looking images.

This looks like amateur snapshot composition.... regardless of whether your customer asked for it. You fell down, by not specifying what shoes he should wear... that is part of the job description also. Make them look their best! Or they won't come back... there are probably a dozen to several hundred wanna be pro's in your area (if your area is like every other area!) ... if you want to succeed, you have to be better than they are! And that means only posting your best. Not stuff you have to defend / explain!

After seeing this.. I wouldn't hire you... and there are probably others that would feel the same. ;)

my eyes went right to whatever that was off the guitar sticking up in the sky.
maybe get the sky/clouds a bit darker

the kid photo was cute but it looks like from the top of this head to under his eyes is in focus. His nose down to his chin is out of focus. Maybe that should be in focus too to add an infocus smile ?

but take it with a grain of salt .. i'm just a newbie

My point was... that if you want to be professional, then post only professional looking images.

This looks like amateur snapshot composition.... regardless of whether your customer asked for it. You fell down, by not specifying what shoes he should wear... that is part of the job description also. Make them look their best! Or they won't come back... there are probably a dozen to several hundred wanna be pro's in your area (if your area is like every other area!) ... if you want to succeed, you have to be better than they are! And that means only posting your best. Not stuff you have to defend / explain!

After seeing this.. I wouldn't hire you... and there are probably others that would feel the same. ;)

See, now this is a constructive remark. It still has your bluntness involved, but gives the reasoning behind what you said. Your previous post was more similar to that of an 8 year old making abrupt comments in grade school.

But then again, there's a client for everyone, and beauty is always in the eyes of the checkbook holder.

You're exactly right. What the client wants, the client gets. I sure as hell don't want to miss out on the opportunity to shoot with them again over the fact that he asked me to crop his shoes and then didn't do it. Customer service trumps photographic technicality, especially in professional (as in you get paid for it by other people) photography.

But then again, there's a client for everyone, and beauty is always in the eyes of the checkbook holder.

Sure.. there is a lot more low-end market, than there is high-end market... but I know which one I prefer to work with! ;)

the kid photo was cute but it looks like from the top of this head to under his eyes is in focus. His nose down to his chin is out of focus. Maybe that should be in focus too to add an infocus smile ?

I will review a bit more later, but I don't see that. What I see is a DoF from the grass right in front of them, leading all the way to the grass behind them. Everything within that DoF is going to be in focus. His entire face looks focused to me. and I'm viewing at a 2560 x 1440 resolution as well (27" iMac).

See, now this is a constructive remark. It still has your bluntness involved, but gives the reasoning behind what you said. Your previous post was more similar to that of an 8 year old making abrupt comments in grade school.

The day I start getting paid on here, maybe I will lighten up and be nicer. Until then... not likely. I usually don't even bother commenting on the "pro" threads... they should already know how to be pro's... or they shouldn't be charging, and using the title! Much of the "pro" work I see looks like an 8 year old shot it... ;)

The day I start getting paid on here, maybe I will lighten up and be nicer. Until then... not likely. I usually don't even bother commenting on the "pro" threads... they should already know how to be pro's... or they shouldn't be charging, and using the title! Much of the "pro" work I see looks like an 8 year old shot it... ;)

That's an egotistical remark. And not egotistical as in that you're so good that you deserve to stand by it. Egotistical in that you have a very skewed idea of what "professional" means.

A professional is simply someone that gets paid for their work. Quality has nothing to do with being a professional, and that's where your ego kicks in. You think to be professional, it has to be high quality, and that certainly isn't the case.

If that were true, Wal-Mart would have failed within the first 5 years of business.

Newbie or not.. you have eyes!

I agree... nose / upper lip down is progressively OOF.

That's an egotistical remark. And not egotistical as in that you're so good that you deserve to stand by it. Egotistical in that you have a very skewed idea of what "professional" means.

A professional is simply someone that gets paid for their work. Quality has nothing to do with being a professional, and that's where your ego kicks in. You think to be professional, it has to be high quality, and that certainly isn't the case.

If that were true, Wal-Mart would have failed within the first 5 years of business.

If you think of Wal-mart as professional, possibly it it you that needs to redefine what you consider acceptable....

Taking pride in something you do well, is not unusual.

If you just want to push out schlock and get paid for it, hey.. you and a million facebookers seem to have that same business plan! Good luck with it!

So if I hand my camera to a 6 year old.. and he takes a shot... and I pay him for that shot.. he is a professional, right? lol! sure! That explains the types of images so many new pro's produce!

If you think of Wal-mart as professional, possibly it it you that needs to redefine what you consider acceptable....

Or maybe you do, possibly? Walmart is worth Billions... how much are you worth again? They are about as defined professional as it gets.

I rest my case.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back