angela

JimmyJaceyMom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Are these too dark? Welll not the first one but the rest? I know that the focus is weird in number 2 I was trying hard to get her eyes in focus but her mouth looks too blurry and since its a big part of the pic I guess it doesn't work.
But anyhow, in photobucket these look very dark - but on flickr I think it looks fine. Also they look green? when uploaded in photobucket I see a green cast but in editing and flickr and my blog I dont see the green. hmmmm.
Anyway. Her mom actually cried when she saw them - a first for me. So I guess that she likes them matters but I want them to be right y'know. Any cc appreciated.

angela1rad.jpg

angela2rad.jpg

angela3rad.jpg

angela6rad.jpg

angela7rad.jpg

angela8rad.jpg

angela9rad.jpg

angela10rad.jpg

your colors are off, use the levels, image-adjust-levels, use the pickers to set black point/white point and go from there with the saturation tool and finish with USM
angela3rad.jpg

angela2rad.jpg

These are not too dark on my monitor Cathi and it was calibrated just a few days ago.
I'm not a big fan on the pose in #3 but the rest of them rock Cathi, especially #1, 4 & 5.
I like what you've done with the colours. I do see a very slight green cast to a couple of them but it takes nothing away from the shots.
I'm guessing you already know that your shooting too wide when parts of the face are in and out of focus like in #2, unless that's what you're going for.
Very nice series Kathi, I love seeing your new posts come up!

The whole point of monitor calibration is to get colors right, a slight cast of any color and the photography is ****, so whats the point. I served my time having shots berated and binned due to incorrect colour balance/casts, it cost me hundreds getting it right so dont be advising that this doesnt detract from the images, it does. Learn the craft, do it right, don't give clients poorly crafted imagery. H

I like what you've done with the colours. I do see a very slight green cast to a couple of them but it takes nothing away from the shots.

Flash Harry is correct. Getting the colour wrong and having any slight colour cast does take away from shots and is unacceptable for any serious pro and this is a professional forum as per the title.

skieur

What I like best about this series is the incredible focus on the face and eyes. However, I'm not sure what kind of effect you are going for with the color. Are they supposed to be sepia tone with selective color on the clothes? If so, I think you did well. If not, I think some work needs to be done to achieve accurate skin tone and appropriate color in the clothing. Overall, I think you did good capturing this lovely young girl. :)

The composition of all these are great in my opinion, but I agree that the colors are somewhat flat and bland. It's nothing that a little PP work couldn't fix though.

Flash Harry - Those edits are awesome. Unfortunately for me I dont have photoshop so I will have to find another way - i did shoot these in RAW+jpeg but I was having trouble editing the RAW images - will that help me to get the colors right or no?
I wouldnt think to give a client poorly crafted imagery as you were saying but I wasn't sure the cast existed until I asked about it and I see that these can be better with some help. That's why I'm here - ;) Thanks.

Heip - I am glad you like my posts :) I'm glad to see your comments. I do know I was shooting too wide in a few. I'll have to look for that in the future - thanks. ;)

skier - I know that Flash Harry is correct and that getting it right is crucial in order to consider yourself a serious professional. I am continuously reading, shooting, asking advice, looking for inspiration and trying to understand everything I can about photography as an art and a business.
I think that what heip is saying is that, as a person looking at the photos in his personal opinon he sees something good in the images wether there is a color cast or not. KWIM? Just as her mother did.
Am I happy that these are not the best they could be? Certainly not. I am here to find out what I can do to make my photographs not good, not great but one day excellent. Any advice I recieve here is greatly appreciated. The reason I thank each person individually is because each person has their own specific idea, comment, and information in their own reply.
I think maybe rather than choosing to quote heip and saying that his thoughts are wrong, it may be more helpful to tell me directly that there is a color cast in my pictures and that it is unacceptable instead of discrediting another's opinion.
It's very hard to type this without sounding like it's delivered with an attitude - I do not mean it that way. Even if you plainly stated "these pictures suck!' I would appreciate it and I am not joking.

njman - I need to work on the colors... y'know. ;)

NateS- I'm gald you like the comp, though some do not follow the rule of thirds. I am going to try to work out my color issues this evening if I can.

Calibrate your monitor firstly then the best way to get colours right is to judge them within a couple of seconds of opening, if your initial response is they are off colour, then, its most likely they are. If you see no colour shift in the first look dont keep looking as your brain will make compensation for the shift.
Which image editor are you using? you should be able to adjust levels and curves in any editor and your raw editor/converter will be able to tweak the shots too.
Without a good calibration none of this will work out but you might still be able to tweak the images by setting up your camera better, oh and don't stick to the rules, 1/3s or any other, shoot the way you like, an individual style is a moneyspinner in this game. H

Calibrate your monitor firstly then the best way to get colours right is to judge them within a couple of seconds of opening, if your initial response is they are off colour, then, its most likely they are. If you see no colour shift in the first look dont keep looking as your brain will make compensation for the shift.
Which image editor are you using? you should be able to adjust levels and curves in any editor and your raw editor/converter will be able to tweak the shots too.
Without a good calibration none of this will work out but you might still be able to tweak the images by setting up your camera better, oh and don't stick to the rules, 1/3s or any other, shoot the way you like, an individual style is a moneyspinner in this game. H

Flash Harry - thanks again for your help. I only have the editing program that came with my camera and its kind of simple, not a lot to it. THe only thing I can do to 'fix' color is to add and take away the yellow/reds/greens/blue/cyan/magenta and like you were saying - once you look at it so long your brain compensates I totally know what you mean. I tried what I can with one in my editing program - any better at all?
I still want to keep them though - i will try my best to make them the best they can be and I understand that just becuase the mother loves them it doesnt mean they are great but she does so I'll take the good points from them and try harder to get the bad things right next time. Thanks
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2255/1712111478_e8ace58b76.jpg

Thanks Marian - I will go in this direction more in editing the others from this series. ;)

Not dark, but dark in nature. I'd love to see some inner light here.

do you mean her lack of enthusiatsic happiness? LOL you're right. At twelve years ols she is a very serious child. Has already written a book and had it published. Straight A's, very good girl. Just very... serious. I know I need to bring out the other sides of people but this girl isnt necessarily unhappy, just too old in her head or her real age. ;) THanks for the comments.
I know she was thinking these weren't going to look good - I think 12 is an awful age for thinking you look good but her mom said when she showed them to her she said "I don't want to see." But when she looked she was on the phone in minutes directing her friends to my flickr. LOL
I think if we do this again her confidence will come through which might crack a big smile or two.

These pictures aren't perfect but if I made her feel good about herself then I am somewhat satisfied. I'll work on them some more. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back