abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
400-1496.jpg

-

Do I spot spots on your sensor?
(You would not be the only one, I have loads of them, keep cloning them out, but I think tomorrow I'll have someone's help with mine, someone promised to show me how to do it and promised to bring a cleaning kit, too).
Why "Angeles Sunset"? Where was this?
Nice play of gradating colours! I like it.

Yes the gradating colors are wonderful!

Do I spot spots on your sensor?
(You would not be the only one, I have loads of them, keep cloning them out, but I think tomorrow I'll have someone's help with mine, someone promised to show me how to do it and promised to bring a cleaning kit, too).
Why "Angeles Sunset"? Where was this?
Nice play of gradating colours! I like it.

Curses, foiled again. I liked the shot so much I didn't clone out the usual spots until after I worked on it- Looks like the light colors show some I didn't know I had. Cleaning costs a fortune, but I'm not sure if I had a couple dead pixels or if I caused them when I tried cleaning the sensor myself. I'm never changing lenses again- ever.

The shot is across the Cajon Pass, a break in the mountains cutting a path through them about 6-7,000 ft. from the ridgeline. I was standing in the San Bernardino National Forest shooting across the valley at the Angeles National Forest- Angeles as in Los Angeles, not a misspelling of Angels- Which could have been appropriate, but I figured someone would ask and it would give me a chance to over-explain. ... and to tell a little story;

At the bottom of this photo, blocked out of course, is the Interstate 15 freeway. I think it's maybe around 50-100,000 people drive through daily- a bunch. It is the busiest route into Southern California. There are also a couple mainline railroad tracks. However, they don't run the easiest course up the canyon to the summit. During the 1860-70's(?) after our transcontinental railroad stretched across the U.S., a rail into L.A. became a desirable item to be owned by the monopoly builders/corporate theives/users of humanity/etc. Between two competing railroads there became some what of a war.

One rail already had a line into So.Cal. running through the Banning Pass to the south. Another company wanted to build through the Cajon Pass. The owner of the first company bought up all the land in a valley to the west out of the pass. This would stop the second railroad from building and providing competition (lower prices). The east route out of the valley was considered unbuildable. An engineer named Perris thought otherwise and as the pass was being watched carefully by spies, brought the second companies officials around the mountains, a nearly 200 mile roundabout trip to show them a feasible, albiet harder to build route with his expert engineering. Perris, brought in Chinese laborers and they did the incredible amount of cut and fill for the railroad grade. The railroad went through and broke the monopoly of the first company. Even though the route went up the pass the hard way.

That's as short a story I can make of it. Perris was quite an engineer and did numerous other feats of civil and mechanical engineering for the railroad. There is a city named after him in his honor- Perris, Ca. Not that this is a big deal, but when I was a kid I thought the spelling was Paris, and the city was named after Paris, France. But it's not and I was wrong. Apparently this may have done some damage to me psychologically and has resulted in my deference to the naming of certain things with the proper name, ie; Angeles instead of Angels.

Well, thank you for your story and for saying Angeles instead of Angels when the origin of the word is Spanish ... when I read Angeles I also think the Spanish pronounciation, mind you ;): Un-che (pronounced like the Scottish "Loch" from "Loch Ness")-les.

:hail:

and to think I've used up my 3 nominations GRRRRR

Thanks Tangerini & LostProphet. I'm glad I skidded to a stop after careening off the road to snap it.

Thanks Mohain.

Most reactions

Back