Animal Photos for C&C please

bevin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey Guys,

These are 3 of my favourite ever photos of my pets. I'm not sure why but they all look a lot more dull since I exported them from iPhoto?

I love the two of Cara (the dog) but I'm pretty sure something could be done to the one of Tindy (the cat) to give it a little pop or something.

I'd love to hear your opinions and especially suggestions as to how I could improve on them.

These are all SOOC except for Tindy which I cropped a little. I have Photoshop but am very much a complete beginner. I'd also love to learn how I can do better while taking the photo so I don't rely to heavily on PP. All taken on my Canon SD800 IS.

1. 1/250 f9.0 (don't know if this even matters since I can't really control it on my camera!!!)
IMG_3011.jpg

2. 1/100 f2.8
IMG_3956.jpg

3. 1/80 f3.2
IMG_3567.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

I agree. I really like #1.

I also like #1, and #2 with it as a series. Don't think #2 would stand alone.

#3 is a great, sharp shot of the cat, but you have to pay attention to the rest of the frame.

TF

Thanks all! OldClicker - re 3, do you mean how the background is really boring? If so I completely agree with you. I wanted the background more blurred so it wouldn't be so obvious but *I* can't easily do it on my P&S. I ideally would've liked the cat facing the house so I could have had greenery in the background but with a cat who on production of a camera comes over and bunts it with his head, it is particularly difficult to get any sort of still photo of him!!

Thanks for the comments, please keep them coming :)

I really like number one. With number two the composition is good exept I'm not into the subject really (sorry don't like looking at dog @$$ lol). With number three like you already know, the background is boring.

Pretty much the same here: Love #1, #2 is good for a series, and #3 is OK.

#1 i like the best, and that cat looks like it's on steroids!!

I'm not sure why but they all look a lot more dull since I exported them from iPhoto?
The problem is probably with Photobucket, not iPhoto. I hear images imbedded from Photobucket lose resolution and color.
I'm pretty sure something could be done to the one of Tindy (the cat) to give it a little pop or something.
The problem is the distracting background. The viewers eyes are drawn to the brightest/lightest parts of a photo and that white wall behind your cat is pulling the point of interest away from the cat. You could try cropping the picture tighter to the main subject and then try sharpening it a little more.
These are all SOOC except for Tindy which I cropped a little. I have Photoshop but am very much a complete beginner. I'd also love to learn how I can do better while taking the photo so I don't rely to heavily on PP.
See this web page for help with photo composition.
All taken on my Canon SD800 IS.

1. 1/250 f9.0 (don't know if this even matters since I can't really control it on my camera!!!)
Sure you can...put it in Manual mode and you can control all exposure settings.

I actually like the 2nd image the best. A different point of view is always nice to see.

The problem is probably with Photobucket, not iPhoto. I hear images imbedded from Photobucket lose resolution and color.The problem is the distracting background. The viewers eyes are drawn to the brightest/lightest parts of a photo and that white wall behind your cat is pulling the point of interest away from the cat. You could try cropping the picture tighter to the main subject and then try sharpening it a little more.See this web page for help with photo composition.Sure you can...put it in Manual mode and you can control all exposure settings.

I actually like the 2nd image the best. A different point of view is always nice to see.

Woah, Samanax, thank you so much for all that info, I really appreciate it! I think it is actually Photobucket as the exported image viewed in Preview still has more vibrant colour than in PB.

I'm picking up what you're saying about the background. Even if it was boring, so long as it was all a balanced neither light nor dark background, I could blur it out and it would be less distracting. Though obviously a better background helps.

RE controlling the setting, I wasn't very clear. All those photos were taken in manual mode but I can't set the shutter speed or the aperture as it is written above, like you could with an SLR. I can only bump the exposure to + or - 2 and adjust lighting conditions and "my colours".

Thank you also for the link, that's got some GREAT ideas.

RE controlling the setting, I wasn't very clear. All those photos were taken in manual mode but I can't set the shutter speed or the aperture as it is written above, like you could with an SLR. I can only bump the exposure to + or - 2 and adjust lighting conditions and "my colours".
Really? Manual mode doesn't let you set the exposure manually? I guess they did that to keep it simple, but it's limiting. If you want to push your photography further you may want to upgrade to a bridge camera (Canon SX10 IS) or advanced P&S (Canon G10) or a entry level DSLR (Canon EOS Rebel XS or XSi).

Well, since you mention it.... :)

Next week I'm buying a Canon 40D with a 24-70mm f2.8 lens, hehehe, yeah!

I've been saving for a loooong time and I've been trying to learn as much as I can before buying a DSLR so I know what I'm doing with it and it's not a waste of money. But then it got too frustrating reading photog books and this forum and not having a camera to practice with. So I'm getting it :D

Most reactions

Back