Animalia

alexanderhip

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
How many pet pictures do we need? I love animals like everyone else, i had a cat and now i have a gecko. But can we post something more interesting then your cat sleeping or your dog rolling in the snow.

If your going to post your pet, get them to do something interesting like ride a bike or balance on a ball, drive a car. Or how about something from the wild.

This wasnt directed at anyone specific, just felt like saying something.

Whoah there tiger!!

wasnt the whole idea of the camera to capture a moment in time so that it can be remebered later? No man or woman on this site is qualified enough to judge what is mundane with people's pets or any subject for that matter.

I say post what moves you, whether its your pet or your child.

i know we all have opinions, but if someone is proud of a picture, and they post it, dont knock it.

md

well spoken.

p.s. alexadership- you misspelled a word in your signature quote. the word "their" should in fact be "there." :D
peace,
t

alexanderhip said:
How many pet pictures do we need?

That's exactly what my photog instructor used to say.

This wasnt directed at anyone specific, just felt like saying something.

Don't take it personal folks, take it as a challenge.

IMHO this is a great representative post, Alexanderhip had a gripe and posted it, the comments from MD et al go with the line that "if you like it, post it!" and overall I agree with everyone!
Damn I'm getting mellow...have to watch that!

Uh Admins... could we have a shot of lemon juice for the 'mudge? I think he's a quart low. :lol:

While I can agree that sometimes there can be what seems to be a flood of "whatever" [insert topic of choice] pics at times, you have to remember that this being an open forum not everyone brings the same things to the party.

The skill mix is as varied as the contibutors.
The weather plays a part.
Emotional state plays a part.
Motivation plays a part.

Why do people post pics here (or anywhere)? Self-gratification. The burning need to share, to show someone "look what I did!" But they also post seeking advise on how to improve their skills.

If everyone was at the same level this'd be a pretty boring place I think.

How many pet pics do we need?
[insert tongue in cheek] Dunno, tell me how many jaded photo instructors do we need? [/remove tongue from cheek]
:wink:

photobug said:
How many pet pics do we need?
[insert tongue in cheek] Dunno, tell me how many jaded photo instructors do we need? [/remove tongue from cheek]
:wink:

This was my point. My instructor also didn't allow pics of kids, flowers, and sunsets; he said that in 20 years of teaching he'd seen it all a million times. Actually, he would allow them, but he warned us that if they didn't knock his socks off, they wouldn't get very high marks.

Alexander has just posted a general opinion that he is bored with pet pics. That's his opinion and definately belongs in a critique forum, which I have always taken this section to be. You don't want negative comments, then post in the "themes" section. Notice the similarity of the word "critique" to "critic".

Anyway, when someone tells me that my stuff is boring, I add it to my list of things to do: knock this guy's socks off. Coming soon: KSmattfish's large format fine art pet portraits!!!! :wink:

Clearly a touchy subject. "Do what you feel and never follow" No one can argue with that. Kids are cute and so are puppies and most other young animals. As ksmattfish (sage advice as always) pointed out the challenge may be to rise above that. Here in Jackson, WY everybody and their brother (including what's his name Adams) has shot the sunset on the Teton's. All are beautiful, but few are well thought out. Maybe some things are better left to memory?

i agree with the hipster, i find i spend half my time here trying to sort through what photos are of cats and which are of something interesting.

Its kind of making me lose interest in the site. And it has just been lately. For some reason there has been a huge down pour of cat photos. Those should go in the theme section...

i think everyone has a point here :lol:

i think people tend to photograph whats close to them ... keep in mind, there are hobbyist and there are photographers who feel passionate about what their doing .. striving to create ... to grow ... to learn ... to continue to challenge themselves ... and some choose to thrive within their "box"

some people photograph to pass the time ... some people breathe photography .... and we share this forum together

i think you know which posts are right for you :wink:

Most reactions

Back