Anna- Fashion Portrait

DanOstergren

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another shot from a recent job I was hired to do for a hair salon and fashion designer in Portland Oregon.

The lighting is all natural; there was a window behind the model creating the strong back light, and a wall the camera left that was reflecting light back onto the model. It's not as impressive of a shot as the last one I posted from this job, but it's still a standout to me, and this model's facial structure is just so memorable to me. And yes, it's a noisy shot. The ISO was somewhat high and I just don't bother with removing it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

_mg_7952_by_danostergren-dblbgj2.jpg

I feel like there's something about the lighting in this image that's not sitting right with me. It doesn't seem like your normal use of natural light, and that's ok, but think it's something about how the shadows and highlights are almost reversed. The areas I want to be highlights are shadows and the shadows are highlights. The brightness of the highlights on the hair just keep drawing my eye and I'm finding it hard to keep focus on the face long enough to get lost in the eyes and her expression. Many of your images that have brighter highlights do a great job of balancing themselves throughout the frame, and im just not feeling that way with this one.

It's still a great image, and perhaps I am simply seeing it from a different perspective than you are, but despite how much I love most all your images and your use of natural light, this one is just falling short for me.

I feel like there's something about the lighting in this image that's not sitting right with me. It doesn't seem like your normal use of natural light, and that's ok, but think it's something about how the shadows and highlights are almost reversed. The areas I want to be highlights are shadows and the shadows are highlights. The brightness of the highlights on the hair just keep drawing my eye and I'm finding it hard to keep focus on the face long enough to get lost in the eyes and her expression. Many of your images that have brighter highlights do a great job of balancing themselves throughout the frame, and im just not feeling that way with this one.

It's still a great image, and perhaps I am simply seeing it from a different perspective than you are, but despite how much I love most all your images and your use of natural light, this one is just falling short for me.
Yeah, the lighting isn't what I would normally do. It's different, which is what I like so much about it. Your feedback definitely isn't irrelevant though and has good merit; I see and agree with the points you're making, but again it's the fact that this shot is a bit different that makes me really love it (personally).

Most reactions

Back