Annie Leibowitz

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by Iron Flatline, Jan 22, 2009.

1. OMG, I thought I was so over Annie Leibowitz. I have no use for celebrity photos whatsoever, but I have really come around.

I really admire her work, no question, but it got to a point where all I ever saw were those (wonderful) Vanity Fair spreads.

Then someone gave me her book "[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Photographers-Life-1990-2005-Annie-Leibovitz/dp/0375505091/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232631963&sr=8-2"]A Photographer's Life[/ame]" and I was taken by how naturally she interweaves her professional work, her personal images, and her own creative discoveries.

My wife and I watch a lot of documentaries, and films about photographers are obviously a favorite topic. A couple of weeks ago we watched "[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Annie-Leibovitz-Life-Through-Lens/dp/B001C71IEM/ref=pd_sim_b_1"]Life Through a Lens[/ame]", a fabulous summary of her life and work thus far.

Now I just got a belated Hanukkah present, a copy of her newest book "[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Annie-Leibovitz-at-Work/dp/0375505105/ref=bxgy_cc_b_img_b"]At Work[/ame]."

I cannot recommend this book strongly enough. She takes one or two of her images, and spends a few paragraphs or pages discusses them with you (the reader) as though you're in the room. Sometimes it's just about the subject, or the setting, but also the image: composition, gear (digital and film, btw), or lighting. There's a kind of FAQ as well. The book is really targeted at fellow photographers.

I will be meeting her here in Berlin in February, can't wait!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2009
  2. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the info!

Netflix just delivered "Life Through a Lens" this morning. Can't wait to get home to watch it.

3. craig

craig TPF Noob!

I know exactly how you feel. When I was going to school at SVA she was always looking for assistants. None of us where brave enough because she was reported to be quite a... not friendly person. Many years later a show of her work came through Jackson, WY when I was living there. Mostly intimate portraits of her rock star friends. Precious work to say the least. She was supposed to be there for the opening, but got sick. Her best friend (not Susan Sontag) who's name escapes me showed up instead. Long story short I met with her friend and she reviewed my portfolio. She only half way liked it. Bad presentation mostly. None the less it was one of my finest moments.

Somewhere on here I posted a vid from fox news or something where she was interviewed for 20 minutes. Fox fumbled the ball, but LEIBOVITZ's personality really shined. She reminded so much of all my teachers from SVA that I immediately fell in love. Clearly she has been a photographer for 40 years. She is a humble, brilliant woman. I am afraid that attitude is rare these days. That is why I look up to her. Plus I have only been subscribing to VF since day one; so there's that

Love & Bass

4. AlexColeman

AlexColeman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You got to see if it has the ridiculous photos of that one girl in it.

5. craig

craig TPF Noob!

With all due respect; you will have to explain your post.

Love & Bass

6. rufus5150

rufus5150 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm guessing the Miley Cyrus spread in VF.

7. craig

craig TPF Noob!

I am guessing the same thing. I do not like guessing.

Love & Bass

8. digital flower

digital flower No longer a newbie, moving up!

9. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
  10. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  11. ann

ann No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I met her once at a talk she gave and she was very nice.

She may be demanding but won't anyone when you have to come up with the "goods" everytime. Each great images raise the bar for the next.

12. digital flower

digital flower No longer a newbie, moving up!

Oops, my searching skills need some work. I didn't think to look in off-topic since her copyrights are at stake. I am going to comment to the other thread.

Any thoughts on the subject or just on the way I use the forum?