Annie Leibowitz

I

Iron Flatline

OMG, I thought I was so over Annie Leibowitz. I have no use for celebrity photos whatsoever, but I have really come around.

I really admire her work, no question, but it got to a point where all I ever saw were those (wonderful) Vanity Fair spreads.

Then someone gave me her book "[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Photographers-Life-1990-2005-Annie-Leibovitz/dp/0375505091/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232631963&sr=8-2"]A Photographer's Life[/ame]" and I was taken by how naturally she interweaves her professional work, her personal images, and her own creative discoveries.

My wife and I watch a lot of documentaries, and films about photographers are obviously a favorite topic. A couple of weeks ago we watched "[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Annie-Leibovitz-Life-Through-Lens/dp/B001C71IEM/ref=pd_sim_b_1"]Life Through a Lens[/ame]", a fabulous summary of her life and work thus far.

Now I just got a belated Hanukkah present, a copy of her newest book "[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Annie-Leibovitz-at-Work/dp/0375505105/ref=bxgy_cc_b_img_b"]At Work[/ame]."

I cannot recommend this book strongly enough. She takes one or two of her images, and spends a few paragraphs or pages discusses them with you (the reader) as though you're in the room. Sometimes it's just about the subject, or the setting, but also the image: composition, gear (digital and film, btw), or lighting. There's a kind of FAQ as well. The book is really targeted at fellow photographers.

I will be meeting her here in Berlin in February, can't wait!

Last edited by a moderator:
I know exactly how you feel. When I was going to school at SVA she was always looking for assistants. None of us where brave enough because she was reported to be quite a... not friendly person. Many years later a show of her work came through Jackson, WY when I was living there. Mostly intimate portraits of her rock star friends. Precious work to say the least. She was supposed to be there for the opening, but got sick. Her best friend (not Susan Sontag) who's name escapes me showed up instead. Long story short I met with her friend and she reviewed my portfolio. She only half way liked it. Bad presentation mostly. None the less it was one of my finest moments.

Somewhere on here I posted a vid from fox news or something where she was interviewed for 20 minutes. Fox fumbled the ball, but LEIBOVITZ's personality really shined. She reminded so much of all my teachers from SVA that I immediately fell in love. Clearly she has been a photographer for 40 years. She is a humble, brilliant woman. I am afraid that attitude is rare these days. That is why I look up to her. Plus I have only been subscribing to VF since day one; so there's that

Love & Bass

You got to see if it has the ridiculous photos of that one girl in it.

I met her once at a talk she gave and she was very nice.

She may be demanding but won't anyone when you have to come up with the "goods" everytime. Each great images raise the bar for the next.

Oops, my searching skills need some work. I didn't think to look in off-topic since her copyrights are at stake. I am going to comment to the other thread.

Why not just start your own thread? :scratch:

Any thoughts on the subject or just on the way I use the forum?

That she would have to hock her entire photographic legacy is stunning.

That she did so without any apparent hope to satisfy the note coming due Tuesday is remarkable.

There have been stranger financial circumstances for well known people, but not many.

she's also now being sued for $300,000USD by another photographer where he claimes Annie stole some shots he took in Italy and used them in a coffee calendar after superimposing some models onto the shots.

dark days ahead

Most reactions

New Topics

Back