Annie the Musical

Seefutlung

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.garyayala.smugmug.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Whitney High School's production of the musical "Annie".

The full gallery is here:
http://garyayala.smugmug.com/gallery/46 ... #276950904

276951319_germJ-L.jpg

276955273_E98YF-L.jpg

276950904_8sdTn-L-1.jpg

276952421_K5RuS-L-2.jpg

Gary

These are wonderful. I've enjoyed all of your stage photography. It's kind of weird seeing microphones taped to their faces. The first and third are my faves out of this set and on your gallery I really love the second one.

Great work!

You lucky one, you always had such a good chance to get up close and shoot from the side...! Makes much better photos, I should say, than those I could take during (!) the actual performance of the "Frau-Holde"-musical back in March. (Many of my photos can be found in my blog, and only there).

These are wonderful. I've enjoyed all of your stage photography. It's kind of weird seeing microphones taped to their faces. The first and third are my faves out of this set and on your gallery I really love the second one.

Great work!

Thanks Ajay. Stage performances are like shooting fish in a barrel ... pretty easy with good results. The lavs do get in the way ... but the performance was very very good ... so much better than any performance by my high school drama dept ... then again ... my high school wasn't Whitney.

Gary

You lucky one, you always had such a good chance to get up close and shoot from the side...! Makes much better photos, I should say, than those I could take during (!) the actual performance of the "Frau-Holde"-musical back in March. (Many of my photos can be found in my blog, and only there).

I knew my dress rehersal shots would get to you ... again ... lol

So, if you ever make it to California ... I'd take you to shoot a dress rehersal :) ... after all, Germany and California are like cousins, you and our governer speak the same language.

Gary

... after all, Germany and California are like cousins, you and our governer speak the same language.

:lol:

In a way that's true, only does he speak the language with this distinctive Austrian accent :D.

... then again ... my high school wasn't Whitney.

Totally, what kind of school is this anyway?

I looked through your SmugMug the other night. Your black and whites are awesome (as well as the Whitney stuff).

Nice shots for all.

But the first photo, the 1800's style dress in colours? And 4th photo in today's style dress with microphone sticking out on their faces, in B/W?
The artisitic expression up side down.:wink: Otherwise they are good stage performances by the look of it from the enthusiastic participants.

Totally, what kind of school is this anyway?

I looked through your SmugMug the other night. Your black and whites are awesome (as well as the Whitney stuff).

Thanks.
WHS is:
In Cerritos, CA and is the #1 public high school in California (by testing) and, I believe, the #1 public high school in the nation based upon per student average for SAT scores.

WHS isn't:
A Magnet school. While Whitney, like a Magnet, recruits by invitation only, but, where Magnets will emphases only one subject (like science or art), WHS stresses high academic standards across all disiplines. At one time the only classes offered at WHS were AP courses.

WHS is a special place for kids and I get volunteered by the teachers and admin for a number of activities including photography.

Gary

Nice shots for all.

But the first photo, the 1800's style dress in colours? And 4th photo in today's style dress with microphone sticking out on their faces, in B/W?
The artisitic expression up side down.:wink: Otherwise they are good stage performances by the look of it from the enthusiastic participants.

LOL -- for the record the musical takes place during FDR's first term in office, post 1933-ish. The "1800" looking attire represents the "hired help" clothing for that time period.

The primary reason for B&W conversion, is this case, was due to the kids blasting away with the spot lights ... it's easier to recover from extremes in light values in B&W than color.

Gary

PS- As to the Lavs sticking out of their faces ... c'est la vie.
G

Hmm, interesting.

I also write a lot of the teacher recommendations for scholarships, especially for the students which are National Merit Semi-Finalists (about 25-30 each year). Whitney seniors last year earned more than $5,000,000 in scholarships ... with about 125 seniors ... that comes in at $40,000 per student. The administrator responsible for scholarships stated, when she took the job three years ago, that her goal was for All Whitney students to earn a scholarship ... this year she may attain that goal.

And ... There are more Whitney graduates in the military academies, (Annapolis, West Point, Air Force and Coast Guard), than from any other high school in the US ... about 92% of the graduating class go directly to a four year university. The school a six year program, 7-12 and all the little kids in the photos are Whitney 7th graders.

The kids are pretty amazing ... oh yeah, a Whitney kid even named the Space Shuttle Endeavor.

Gary

Most reactions

Back