Another attempt at portrait

mpdc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Please help me iout here. Im trying to learn this whole portrait thing. Not sure if I am getting better or worse. I tried a little different lighting. Thought it gave a soft feel. What do you think?

1-
Portraitattempt.jpg

2-
Usmodified.jpg

i know absolutely nothing about this sorta thing, but i believe one thing to keep in mind are those pesky background objects that distract from your main subject; i.e., the two objects beside her head in the first and the figurine (?) between you two in the last.

you'll get a better response and expert advice posting these in the wedding & portrait gallery...lots of knowledge over there.
But yeh...jm's right...watch those BG's! pick a nice clean BG. Also looks like you were hand holding the cam in very low light which hasn't helped for sharpness.
composition in the first is pretty good.

Thats my buddha. Thanks for the input.

tekzero said:
use a flash
Yeah. I was trying to do different lighting.
The flash is just really harsh.

if you don't use a flash... then at least use a tripod. the images are a bit blurry and really take away from the picture.

mpdc said:
Yeah. I was trying to do different lighting.
The flash is just really harsh.

I find using a tissue to diffuse the flash helpful. You can just hold it up there or attach it with a rubber band. Folding the tissue over itself a couple of times will make the flash more and more subtle. Good luck!

firstly, you must keep a watch on the background.. it is very crucial to portraits
you've got teh expressions right but the images seem out of focus... try using higher iso or shoot in daylight about an hour before the sun goes down when you got minimal harsh shadows.
hope some of this helps... good attempt :thumbsup:

what lighting WERE you using? the background in the first is brighter than the blurry subject. at least you can bounce your flash off the ceiling if you don't have a monolight for off camera lighting.

if you don't have that capability, at least use a bright lamp or model lamp for side lighting so there is some interest in the subject.

Go outside where there's enough natural light. It's too dark where you are shooting. Focus and sharpness are critical. You didn't mention what camera/format you were using, but the color temperature is off on these as well.

NIce.

Thanks for the input. I shall try the tissue paper, and ofcourse s always my background does need some work.

Thank you all truely.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back