Another attempt... C&C please

BuS_RiDeR

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
mdlphotography.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here is another attempt... I really need to start using my tripod more I think...

Daffy.jpg

A couple others...

tree-mush.jpg

Squirelly.jpg

:) i really like number 2, very interesting, love the tiered positions of those... 'things' :p.

For me, i am not a fan of the background of Number 1, i would prefer a natural background, with some greenery. but i like the fact another flower is included, a nice splash of yellow.

(dont take my comments THAT seriously, i most likely dont know what im talking about, but i think i might learn more if i comment on others photos as well ) :)

I agree, there is something interesting about picture 2. I'd probably go B&W with that one though since there aren't any colors that are too appealing. The texture is pretty neat though.

The yellow in the flower is not as vibrant as I would've have expected...it doesn't have that "pop" factor. Cant really tell if the flower is out of focus though although it looks like it might be.

The picture with the squirrel is nicely composed but a bit out of focus.

best wishes

Hope you don't mind but I messed with a bit. I straightened it out, sharpened and made it B&W.

tree-mushx.jpg

Focus seems to be your biggest problem. ( as a result of exposure settings it seems ). The squirrel was F/11 at 1/13th of a second!? You could have shot at like F5.6 and had a much faster shutter speed. Don't be afraid to bump your ISO up a notch if you can't get the speeds you need due to lack of light. Also, learn to work the focus. I rarely use any AF point besides the center. You could have turned to the right to center the squirrel, pressed the shutter halfway to focus, then with it still pressed halfway, recompose the shot and finish pressing the shutter.

The biggest problem though is your exposure. There is really no reason to be shooting with those slow speeds and high F number for that shot at 85mm when you are only at ISO 100.

Nice ideas, but i think you need to work with the rule of thirds to ad more to your images. In photo #1 because the angle of the flower, and it's central position it leads your eye out of the phot instead of in. Cropping it or re taking the photo, positionign the flower on the cross of the top right third would be more pleaseing to the eye.

With the bracket fungi or whatever they may be I would have focussed on the highest one it's the nearest i think. I do like the flower pictures composition and depth of field.

like previously said, your focusing is the biggest problem. No need to shoot at f11 all the time!

1. Forget rules; they are for art critics, not photographers

2. If your ASA was 100 (as one comment suggests) with a decent digital you should be able to go to 400 without any significant "noise"

3. The flower was apparently near macro meaning you have no depth of field (effectively) and if you have a breeze ..... it will move. It actually looks good as you have little D o F (try that ASA 400) but for composition I would have put the flower towards the right and used dark green stalks for contrast - there is no reason for the white boards

4. The tree - you used AF in low light and the AF chose to focus on the trunk which left the fungus or whatever that is out of the D o F; had you thought of flash? If you were indeed holding the camera sideways the flash would have lit underneath the fungus; given you more even lighting (especially built in flash - low power)

5. the squirrel - again the AF is choosing what to focus on. Another comment suggested focusing on the squirrel - this, too would have benefited from more D o F - the squirrel was likely moving, and I suspect this was the long lens, they don't have much D o F anyways at any distance Composition wise I think (IMHO) this is too far right, you do not need the blackened part of that tree / fence / whatever that is but the squirrel is too far off center.

Seriously, rules are for art critics when they review your image and want to appear smart - the only rule for the photographer is what story does the image tell, whether or not the "composition" distracts from or supports that story. For the daffodil that background area with the white boards is a distraction; for the squirrel the "subject" is not the predominant object, there is much more tree / fence / whatever than squirrel (note: you can crop these down as well to concentrate on the story)

Forget the art critic rules and stick to telling the story, pick up a few pointers on focusing, D o F, lighting, etc. by using forums like this. If you had been taking 2,000 pics a year for 5 years I would be worried but I don't think you are anywhere near there yet

Seriously, rules are for art critics when they review your image and want to appear smart - the only rule for the photographer is what story does the image tell, whether or not the "composition" distracts from or supports that story. For the daffodil that background area with the white boards is a distraction; for the squirrel the "subject" is not the predominant object, there is much more tree / fence / whatever than squirrel (note: you can crop these down as well to concentrate on the story)

Last time I checked, Photography was an art. There are many rules and techniques to art. Whether its music, drawing, painting, photography, cinema. Now that doesn't mean that rules should NEVER be broken ( this is part of the way to put your own spin on a typical pic ), but it certainly doesn't mean that he should completely disregard years and years of technique and teachings.

Actually there are NO rules to art - that would make it mechanical, math

Rules are for art critics and art instructors to give them something to talk about; technique is about how to achieve what YOU want and has nothing to do with rules, teaching (and I am a teacher) should be aout how to convey what YOU want to convey - the subject

Photography is an art and art has no rules, just the desire to communicate and the rest of it: diagonals, leading lines, s curves, ad nauseum is all mechanical techniques once you actually have a composition, critic words, carping

You should just make a picture that appeals to you yet conveys what you saw to others. Rules are math, if there were actually rules we could turn loose a robot (i.e. google earth) to take all the pictures that ever could exist; but art is not about rules; art Appreciation is

Actually there are NO rules to art - that would make it mechanical, math

Rules are for art critics and art instructors to give them something to talk about; technique is about how to achieve what YOU want and has nothing to do with rules, teaching (and I am a teacher) should be aout how to convey what YOU want to convey - the subject

Photography is an art and art has no rules, just the desire to communicate and the rest of it: diagonals, leading lines, s curves, ad nauseum is all mechanical techniques once you actually have a composition, critic words, carping

You should just make a picture that appeals to you yet conveys what you saw to others. Rules are math, if there were actually rules we could turn loose a robot (i.e. google earth) to take all the pictures that ever could exist; but art is not about rules; art Appreciation is

I didn't say that you always have to stick to those rules. They are good techniques to learn. If you are really a teacher and can't comprehend this concept as a learning tool, I really feel sorry for anyone you are teaching. I agree with your point that art involves not following rules, but to say that they don't exist and aren't useful is just bad advice. Math is in all parts of life whether you are aware of it or not. Music is an artform but you still have to follow certain rules. Time signatures, scales. Everything down to the intonation of a guitar is all mathematical/science based. The fact of the matter is, that machines CAN take proper pictures. Just like cars can now parallel park themselves. A machine can't pic a creative angle or subject though and try to convey an artistic message.

I am a Nature Photographer and I use a lot of macro lenses and close up shots to get the perfect shots.Love the first one.

Most reactions

Back