Another Book thread - Good books on optics (?)

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Tom Sawyer, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer TPF Noob!

Hello, people.
    I'm getting very interested in the technical side photography lately, and one aspect that I absolutely would like to fully understand is: What actually happens inside my SLR? (I'm, well, old school and I shoot with film, if that matters) How does the light create a image, how does it reach the film, what happens to the light inside the lens, why is my depth of field low with a big aperture, all those things...I guess it will have a lot to do with optics?
    Anyway, I would like to know if you can recommend me a book that talks optics on a photographic level, if you know what I mean. I'm not necessarily interested in a full-blown course on optics, but rather how the principles influence us as photographers.
    Thank you for any tips.

2. lockwood81

lockwood81 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm currently reading "The New Manual of Photography: The definitive guide to photography in every format"..

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/New-Manual-Photography-John-Hedgecoe/dp/0789496372/ref=sr_11_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1234569065&sr=11-1]Amazon.com: The New Manual of Photography: John Hedgecoe: Books[/ame]

I'm finding it very informative on the topic of photography as a whole.