Website
www.earthscape.110mb.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi chaps, heres today catch :p

TreeStump001.jpg

TreeStump002.jpg

TreeStump003.jpg

I am new, both to this forum and to photography, so I can't really share too much criticism, but I can share opinions. My opinions are more from the casual observer standpoint than from the photographer standpoint, but that has merit as well, right? :wink:

My favorite out of this set is the first one you posted. Being able to see more of the massive tree stump helps the picture I think, and it nicely frames the tree with the path leading up to it. All set against a very nice sky, I might add.

In my opinion, the second picture actually would've been better without the stump, I think it detracts from the scene a bit, since the top and side are both cut/cropped out of the picture.

Number three is a close runner up to number one, but I would've liked to see the entire stump in it. The lighting in this one is very nice as well.

Again, just my opinions! :thumbup:

Thanks!

Very nice images. Agree with the others that #1 is the best of the lot; they are however all slightly underexposed. I think I would try and lighten up just the stump by about 1/2 - 2/3 stop. I really like the composition; excellent use of the path and the tree in the background to guide the eye. Did you consider mulitiple exposures for an HDR?

i honestly don't believe the scene calls for a HDRI. the first one is the best and i don't see how it can be improved using hdri technique maybe just to brighten up the trees in the background but that can be done with tone mapping i guess

im rather noob at HDR and cant get my pic's looking real lol i think the second or third or both were layer masked in cs3 and i agree on the making them lighter but this is about as good as i could get em without blowing out the skies lol

mike.

Great sky. I think I might have: (on the first one)

1. Stood up a bit to try to get more of that path in the view, that would be nice to have in the shot and would lend a bit to the connection between the obviously way dead tree in the foreground and the still living one in the back near the path. (someone stop me, I'm being artistic! aaaaa!)
2. Tried to get the stump a bit lower in the shot... it's too much in the center IMO.
3. Maybe get the stump a hair to the right... or maybe even the left. The TINY bit of cutoff on it on the left there is distracting for me, I almost want more or less of it gone.
4. As others said, brighten it up.

Neat subject, regardless.

I actually used my flash for this shot with + 2 Compensation lol
and i plan on going back to this spot many a time so i'l be posting up shots when i get back there :)

thanks for your comments

1 is definitely my favourite, I think you nailed the contrast in that one and I don't believe it's to dark. The sky doesn't work for me in the other two I'm afraid.

One other point, you've obviously intended to skew the horizon, (either that or you only had one shoe on :) ). It's never something I've seen work in a great many landscapes and I'm not sure it's adding anything here.

my noob-senses agree. #1 is best although slightly dark. #2 has quite a strange appeal to me though. dunno why exactly, it just does.

and as a side note....nice name, you are the envy of prank callers all over the world.

my noob-senses agree. #1 is best although slightly dark. #2 has quite a strange appeal to me though. dunno why exactly, it just does.

and as a side note....nice name, you are the envy of prank callers all over the world.

:lmao: HAHAHA! yes yes i have a lovely name :hail: lol

yeah i agree that the first one is definately the best was worth the day i spent there ankle deep in mud and waking up today with very very sore leg muscles from all the treking up and down hills of various sizes!
I like how its quite dark though i must say i think it adds to the mood but feel free to try and lighten it for me and see what ya come up with :D
thanks again for your replies

Mike :cheers:

Very nice photos. I like the first the most.

I really like your name too.

I actually used my flash for this shot with + 2 Compensation lol
and i plan on going back to this spot many a time so i'l be posting up shots when i get back there :)

thanks for your comments

Try using a PC cord and manual mode. Even at +2 it might not do anything if the general reading is coming off of the background.

Most reactions

Back