another CL scam (i think?)

syphlix

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.gregorytran.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i responded to an ad on CL for a canon 5d for $850... price sounded too good to be true but figgered what the hell and responded...

scam right? what do you think?

hi,it has like 100 shots,but I am sorry, I am now out of the town with business,so if you want we can arrange the deal via eBay,i will email eBay to create an invoice for payment and shiping details,the transaction is insured and secured,so let me know,thanx

>how many actuations you have on this thing?

>any problems with it?

Does seem pretty fishy. Maybe see if he can provide pictures of the camera or something (probably won't be able to). You might string him along a little more to see what his next step would be, if you really wanted to be sure (not providing any personal info, of course).

yes. i wouldnt touch it with a 10 foot pole. the 5d is still selling new for $2,000. i saw an ad yesterday for a used one with around 6000 shots for $1,500. i dont see one going for so little with only 100 shots.

Email ebay?? Ebay to do an invoice?? Neither is true. This is a scammer looking for a sucker.

Delete - move on.

A well-known,respected member of the Popular Photography forum offered his 5D, which had seen commercial studio use, for $900 about six months ago. The used, person-to-person value of photo goods is nowhere near as high as it is from any of the Big Five internet sites where hundreds of thousands of potential buyers line up to pay FULL, used retail prices.

What a web site that gets 10,000 visitors per week sells used items for is NOT what the same,identical used items are worth when sold or auctioned where most of North America goes to find and buy with two or three clicks...

To know if it's a scam or not, you'd want to deal with the seller in a face-to-face,public transaction. I've seen used super-teles selling for $1,500 under walk-in retail simply because the buyers needed cash that week,etc.

yeah, the price is off a bit below what I normally see it on FM and the like, but only by 150 or so. The key to this one is the fact that he's magically out of town. I wouldn't touch it unless he was able to show it to you locally, or if he could have a friend show it to you locally.

yea i figured.

what is FM?

another big tip was the whole "100 actuations thing"... seriously who the f owns a 5d and only takes 100 shots with it lol

this is a scam.. any time someone says to you "i'm out of town, but we can deal through paypal" its a scam... i've dealt with LOTS of these.. dont do it..

if its a craigslist/kijiji item, and they aren't willing to meet face to face, then theres a reason..

tell him that you'll just wait until he's back in town... I guarentee the reply will be "i'm out of town for "months or years"

yeah, it's fredmiranda.com, they have a large buy/sell forum, which can be a great place to get camera equipment, because the people there generally take good care of their equipment. Also, many times the person selling it has a good reputation and to my knowledge it's pretty safe.

Just google the guys email address. I was selling a bike on craigslist and some guy said he'd pay me a deposit via paypal then pick it up when he got back in town. I googled the email address, and it turned out a ton of people did the same thing I did. I found a few posts on random websites about it. If the email turns up with lots of solid hits from a search engine, it's a scam.

Just google the guys email address. I was selling a bike on craigslist and some guy said he'd pay me a deposit via paypal then pick it up when he got back in town. I googled the email address, and it turned out a ton of people did the same thing I did. I found a few posts on random websites about it. If the email turns up with lots of solid hits from a search engine, it's a scam.

After having 3 scammers in a row respond to my camera listing, I finally started searching the email addresses and names (since most emails now have a name displayed) on facebook and google to see if they were legit.

After having 3 scammers in a row respond to my camera listing, I finally started searching the email addresses and names (since most emails now have a name displayed) on facebook and google to see if they were legit.

The power of the internet and search engines is incredible isn't it?

well... heres her reply after i asked when she would be back in town :p
i will be back after dec,and i want to sell the product until then,so the only way will be via eBay,also i have refund options,and the shipping is free and insured ,so let me know,thanx

Most reactions

New Topics

Back