Another D300 vs. D700 thread

I know they take different memory cards than the DXX line, so I'll need to pick one of those up. Is there anything else I am missing? I just have this feeling that I am forgetting something...

Yes. The D200, D300, D700, D3 and D3x all use the same format card... CF. What you should note is that ALL of them (except for the D200) are UDMA compatible. That means that you should get nothing less than a SanDisk Extreme IV for them if you want best performance writing and reading from these cards. I suggest the 8gb size as a nice compromise between # of shots vs # of cards.

I'm planning on getting a 4GB UDMA 300X write speed Lexar CF card. I have read a lot of reviews about Scan Disk products corrupting and losing all of their data.

I've never had a problem with SanDisk cards. I like 4GB size myself because I can get ~200 images on a card. I'd hate to lose more than that a one time. I got my Extreme IV cards when SanDisk was running a rebate and saved quite a bit of $$$. Keep an eye open for the rebates.

I've never had a problem with SanDisk cards. I like 4GB size myself because I can get ~200 images on a card. I'd hate to lose more than that a one time. I got my Extreme IV cards when SanDisk was running a rebate and saved quite a bit of $$$. Keep an eye open for the rebates.

All of the big brands have $20 rebates on their 4GB cards and $60 rebates on their 8GB on B&H right now.

I'm planning on getting a 4GB UDMA 300X write speed Lexar CF card. I have read a lot of reviews about Scan Disk products corrupting and losing all of their data.
Frankly, I take most technical reviews with a very large grain of salt, unless they include empirical supporting evidence. Anecdotal evidence is virtually worthless.

Oh, and get a grip...........................................................................for the D300.

Frankly, I take most technical reviews with a very large grain of salt, unless they include empirical supporting evidence. Anecdotal evidence is virtually worthless.

Oh, and get a grip...........................................................................for the D300.

Yeah, I am going to get it, just not at the same time I buy the body.

My D300 came today. This body is sexy! Sorry for the P&S pictures, I wanted to get both DSLR's in the same shot for comparison. It's HUGE compared to the D60.

DSC00463.jpg

DSC00465.jpg

DSC00466.jpg

Congrats, man! You'll love it I'm sure. The thing is a real tank compared to that D60 isn't it? Feels like you could do hand to hand combat with it. :)

sooooooo sexy...

Thanks guys, and thanks to everyone who helped me settle the DX vs. FX debate in this thread.

Next on the list (probably this coming week): New backpack to fit all this bigger gear and the 70-200 coming next month, D300 battery grip, and some other odds and ends like GND filter, flash diffuser, etc. I'll be buying a new lens every month or two until the list in my signature is taken care of. Hopefully the 24-70 gets taken off backorder, that's one of the ones I want the most.
:headbang:

My MB-D10 battery grip came in the mail today, so here's the D300 with grip.

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on the new gear, but if you're gonna show it off ( and rightfuly so)... FFS, have it in focus.

Congrats on the new gear, but if you're gonna show it off ( and rightfuly so)... FFS, have it in focus.

Didn't care enough to take another picture. :lol:
If it were a thread dedicated to showcasing my gear, then I definitely would take better pictures. But since I am just showing a few shots of the gear I chose thanks to the input in this thread, I figures OOF doesn't matter much.

Now comes the big stuff... lenses... :drool:

I guess we can agree to disagree. Each person has their own personal threshold and delineation of what's acceptable for public display. Nonetheless, congratz. I know it's been a long and ardurous task for you thus far.

I guess we can agree to disagree. Each person has their own personal threshold and delineation of what's acceptable for public display. Nonetheless, congratz. I know it's been a long and ardurous task for you thus far.

Make me feel bad why don't you. I went and grabbed my D40x and replaced the photo's in the post above. Just for you. :p

Most reactions

Back