Another Day At The Beach...

SilentRaven

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.silentraven.com
Hi. Havent been here in ages.
i have maybe 3 posts before this one...
but i will try to stay longer this time.

These shots are for a book that i put together.
all of these are at the Santa Monica Pier.
I shot them grainy and wanted the scratches and everything
so dont ask me to clean it up :D

constructive criticism, please

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

I like the composition and DOF on the last two and I think the dust and scratches adds a lot to the pictures. Good work and welcome.

The scan quality makes it look so "yesterday". The good way I mean.

You know in movies, there's always the memories from the past that the character recalls..... usually sweet ones. I think it's because your photos are warm in nature.

thanks to those who commented...

i guess if you dont have pictures of nature or if they're not B&W...no one really cares to comment or critique.

if you think it sucks...tell me but tell me why.
if i didnt want feedback, i wouldnt have posted them.
maybe its because i'm new?

whatever the reason,

i think this is the last time i post on here.
people on here just want to see pictures of nature and say
"wow, thats amazing"

bye

If you want a more in depth critique...post one photo at a time.

SilentRaven said:

I felt the same way when I first joined. I posted pictures that I was proud of and got one or two replies and I felt a little, well, rejected. However, once I started posting more replies and getting to know the other members I got more response to my photos. I don't think there is only an appreciation for nature photos here, I've seen all sorts of genre's shown.

It's hard to post something meaningful with more than one photo at a time. If I'm posting more than one I try to keep them tied in together (i.e. the same subject, different poses). I do like your work, I really like the 2nd to the last one, it's got a great warmth that I have a hard time acheiving in my color work.

Sorry you feel that way. It's actually not like that in this forum at all. Honestly, It's hard to critique several photos at once. You will get a full critique if you post them in the critique section one at a time.

I love #1 - not sure why yet. I'll probably figure it out later after I have looked at it for a while. #2 - I'm not so nuts about, I love the perspective of #3 and I can't figure out how I feel about #4. As for the dust, scratches and stuff - I feel that they add to your photos somehow. I would never have thought to leave those things in.

AlisonS said:
I posted pictures that I was proud of and got one or two replies and I felt a little, well, rejected.
Oh no! Everyone was really busy, it was all our fault, I promise. This is just for you :hug: I dig everything you post. I just never reply most of the time. I just sit here thinking "I hope they post more" like you're suppose to hear me or something.

And now the pic's at hand here. Cool pics, the weathered look is what's making them happen for me. But...................
i think this is the last time i post on here.
............having a bad day? Even though these pics have been here for almost a week, this is first time I'm seeing them. Gotta give some of us work'a'holics a chance to get to em'

I like the weathered look and have subjected some of my B&W's to a sandpaper treatment to give them that "traveled 2000 miles in a trunk on the back of a wagon on the way to the new promise land" look. I have a picture of my great grandfather when he was about 9 months old in front the sod house his parents built which he born in. Pretty cool casual family pic with most of the family in it but it blows mind everytime I look at it and realize it was shot in 1903.

Anyway, this picture is pretty scratched up so I scanned it and tried to clean it up. End result: everyone liked the scratched up version the best because it looked real and as old as it really was. I've since been trying to come up with a process to simulate this with some of the pic's I've taken recently.

Anyway, I'm just babblin' (nothing new) I hope you hang out a little longer......................

i might give it another chance.

see the problem with it is that i've been to other forums before. and i dont stick around cause no one ever cares to welcome to the new person. and they tend to talk to eachother. i mean, it takes a lot for someone new to come into a group of people and be ready to post something they have done. And when that person sees that 100+ people have looked at the thread, and not said a single thing, save 3 people, its kinda disappointing. thats all. I just didnt want to hang around a place like that.

but maybe its just me acting too soon and i apologise. i have judged you all without knowing you, and i am sorry. so hopefully i will be talking to you all more in the future.
;)

AlisonS said:
SilentRaven said:

I felt the same way when I first joined. I posted pictures that I was proud of and got one or two replies and I felt a little, well, rejected. However, once I started posting more replies and getting to know the other members I got more response to my photos. I don't think there is only an appreciation for nature photos here, I've seen all sorts of genre's shown.

It's hard to post something meaningful with more than one photo at a time. If I'm posting more than one I try to keep them tied in together (i.e. the same subject, different poses). I do like your work, I really like the 2nd to the last one, it's got a great warmth that I have a hard time acheiving in my color work.

I love your work and you know it. :) :)

SilentRaven,
Sometimes the pictures don't get the replies that we are looking for. I sometimes have to look at a picture a few times before I will comment on them. I try to play catch-up on the weekends. What everyone said about posting one at a time is true. Then we can just focus on the picture at hand. This is the most helpful forum that I have found and truely a great group of people. I'm sure that you will feel as welcome here as I do.

Im really sorry you feel that way. The thing about forums with as many members as this one is that a lot of people want to post to get feedback, so your stuff tends to get bumped down the list very quickly.

Maybe as the others have said posting one shot at a time in the critique corner would help more if your looking for a serious critique.

Please ignore previous whiney hormonally driven post :) I only felt that way for a few days when I first joined, then it was like I knew everyone forever. Nice thing about photography is that it's a window to the soul, just like your eyes, so you really learn a lot about a person by their work.

Anyway, I'm working on about 6 hours of sleep in the last 48 hours so that may have accounted for my drivel earlier. Now that my midterm is done and I can sleep and eat again WAAAAHOOOOO! :bounce:

AlisonS said:
Anyway, I'm working on about 6 hours of sleep in the last 48 hours so that may have accounted for my drivel earlier. Now that my midterm is done and I can sleep and eat again WAAAAHOOOOO! :bounce:

One more to go. Friday is HIS 202.

These are amazing photos. Love the grain and scratches. I'm a huge fan of textures in photos and these are great.

About your comments, post them one at a time in the critique forum and you'll get the critique you're looking for. Many times I go to post a comment and realize it's the gallery forum, and just plain decide not to. Not that I'm always critical, but usually find something I see that might improve a shot. Wait... I AM always critical ;)

Most reactions

Back