Another day at the 'office'

vonnagy

have kiwi, will travel...
Reaction score
Website
www.vonnagy.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is my real office, its an ex-world war II gunnery installment situated below bastion point and overlooks Auckland and Rangitoto island. I love this place. After punching in code all day, i take a break and hang out here to relax or do some 'real' work- photography!

Sometimes its smells like urine because the local kids come here and drink at night or get stoned. Yesterday I had scared couple who were making out here. Didn't have my gear ready at the time to take any intimate shots. Oh well.

Here's the 'office' :
office.jpg

1/30 second
f/3.5
handheld
bw coverted in pshop with diffusion filter

This office has a bloody good screen saver too! :mrgreen:
office2.jpg

1/125
f 5.6
handheld
bw converted in shop with layer multiplication
cropped

office3.jpg

1/90
f/6.7
tripod
bw convertd in pship with layer screening
cropped

Since it was a rather 'grey' day, i converted these shots to black and white. Any suggestions or other :idea: 's welcome!

dude! these are awesome! #3 my favorite- the light through the clouds and the city skyline across the water make this shot intense.
on second glance, though, i could definitely make an argument for #2- the compostion here is great with the light rays dividing diagonally from top right third verticle towards bottom left- placement of the birds balancing everything nicely. extremely well done.

did you play with contrast at all?

These DO show that there is no "perfect" or "not-so-perfect" weather for photography. Actually, this "grey" weather makes wonderful images. I love No. 3, but I don't think we see a city skyline, do we? They much rather look like those big cranes they have in ports.

Makes me think of going on a photo spree in Hamburg some time sooner or later, maybe making the port my main goal... maybe???

lovely photos ... i love the mood of all of these ... the first is my favorite .. looks very "lonesome"

when i came back to these this morn, #1 now calls a little louder. dramatic lighting/composition in this one. the tripod is a great addition, but could you move the head lower so it's not swallowed up in the buildings on horizon line, or maybe even move it so it is centered perfectly above that circle in the cement in midground....
regardless of any change, this one is definitely worth more than one glance.

Wow! These are awesome, Mark! You do great work. I may have to give these some more consideration, since I find it impossible to pick just one favorite. Since you have described the location, I like the symbolism of the first. The tripod has replaced the gun emplacements of the past. The second one is almost spiritual in it simplistic beauty. The third one appears perfectly balanced to my eye, and the light rays and cloud formations are wonderful. :cheer:

Beautiful shots, Mark.... #3 is quite breathtaking - would not have the same drama in color, I think....

Interesting to see you converting more and more of your work.... we'll have you shooting B&W film, yet, me laddie! bwahahahahah!! :twisted:

when i saw my first b&w photo from film (coming from digital) .. it was breathtaking :love:

Absolutely amazing photos! The b&w really does it for me. These shots really do prove that a good photographer can make great art out of anything. Nice job!

nice work mark ! :)

i like #1 the most. the skies are very cool.

Thanks everyone for your comments!

did you play with contrast at all?
All photographs were pshoped, to some degree, the effect that i had listed on the bottom would be what i think gives the photograph its 'ummph'. I think most of the shots i played with the levels rather than contrast.

the tripod is a great addition, but could you move the head lower so it's not swallowed up in the buildings on horizon line, or maybe even move it so it is centered perfectly above that circle in the cement in midground....
good point, i noticed that too. I'll have to wait for another grey day, in a couple of months we'll have heaps of them :)

love No. 3, but I don't think we see a city skyline, do we? They much rather look like those big cranes they have in ports.
yeah, laphoto, that gosh darn sunlight, had to fall on the port of Auckland, or i would have certainly took photos of the city. You are right, i find grey days really awesome for photos. I think industrial places like ports, factories, etc are really awesome in b&w especially on cloudy days.. I'd be interested in seeing your shots of Hamburg!

Interesting to see you converting more and more of your work.... we'll have you shooting B&W film, yet, me laddie!
when i saw my first b&w photo from film (coming from digital) .. it was breathtaking
It is in the works! I'll be picking your brains about this before too long I bet

Mark, these are my favorite samples of your work that I've seen so far - absolutely stunning.

These are definitely awesome photos. I love the fact that you've mastered the art of B&W (something I have yet to play with). B&W photos that are done well, like these, are really gripping. I love the sky photos excellent job!

Most reactions

Back