Another editing software question...

thebeatpoet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I got this thing called an iMac. It's pretty neat. And I also got a bunch of other stuff. And that stuff is neat too. But as a result of getting all this stuff, I don't really have that much money to spend on editing software. I'm looking at Aperture (which costs about as much as I'd really like to spend), but what I want to know is... does it have editing tools like Photoshop? Now, I realize that it isn't in the same league as Photoshop for sheer amount of tools, but does it have the basics? Can I burn, dodge, change hue and saturation, etc., etc.? I watched the videos of it on the Apple site, but all I got is that it's REALLY great for organizing your photos.

Soooo... to sum up, should I shell out the big bucks for Photoshop (which I could ultimately do, although it would damn near kill me), or can I get away with Aperture (and possible a cheap editing alternative)?

Thanks again for your time.

I have aperture, lightroom, and photoshop CS3.

Lightroom is WAY better than Aperture for actually getting things done, and keeping organized.

Aperture is nice cause it's easy to organize and tag pics...but that's about it.

No, it doesn't do what photoshop can do...

But I will say that Lightroom has all the features a PHOTOGRAPHER will need.

Lightroom I dont have yet, but from all the photos I have seen using it, its pretty NICE on your photos :D Im saving for this program myself!

Just get GIMP for now. It does the basics, and it's free.

At this stage of your photography learning process, it's best to avoid Photoshop, it tend to make you too dependent on it. It's happened to me, and now I'm struggling with Black and White film.

Thanks guys. I really like the look of Lightroom so I think I'm going to go with that. Now I just have to wait for my 40D body to arrive!

What kind of camera are you using? Consider using the software that came with your camera for the basics of processing.

Yeah, I'm using a Canon 40D (or will be as soon as it arrives). And I heard that the software that comes with it is pretty good. It's called DDP or something like that right?

Yeah, I'm using a Canon 40D (or will be as soon as it arrives). And I heard that the software that comes with it is pretty good. It's called DDP or something like that right?

Yes, It's DPP. I use it as the starting point for all my RAW images. It retains the camera settings and with practice you can get most of your images the way you want straight from the camera. I use Photoshop or Paintshop pro (a great alternative to PS) to tweak the the converted image from DPP. Normally add a frame, signature, convert to JPG etc.

I reviewed some of the online tutorials for DPP and it seems like it's similar to Adobe Lightroom. Is that a correct assumption?

Well, you can make most of the adjustments you want and it does include a workflow process, but I wouldn't compare it to Lightroom. Lightroom has every possible adjustment you could imagine to include other things. I like lightroom, but sometimes too many adjustment end up ruining your image. That's my opinion.

Lightroom and Photoshop Elements is a great combo for photographers, that's what I'm currently running with, and I haven't found myself lacking any tools.

Most reactions

Back