Another Film SLR or Digital SLR

K_Pugh

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
OK i've been changing my mid a lot recently. I get paid in a couple of weeks and i'm wondering whether to buy a 2nd hand DSLR or a 2nd 35mm SLR. Don't want to spend a lot to be honest but i want this to be my main camera as i have a Nikon F50 at the moment.

Staying with Nikon due to lenses etc as you know. As for DSLR i've had a look at prices (don't really want to spend much over 200 UKP) so it's a D70. I've had a D70 before so i can get right back on it like i never left it but i feel it lacked dynamic range to some extent. As for film i was thinking either an F100 or an F5.

I shoot B&W film and develop it myself and i plan on keeping doing so, shooting B&W with my F50. If i go with another 35mm SLR i'll be shooting colour with it and i'm looking at the C-41 process, a tad trickier than normal B&W but i can shoot C-41 B&W and simplify my chemicals - film's also quite cheap.

My Options.

1. Buy an F100 or F5. Buy C-41 chemicals. Use C-41 B&W film on the F50 and use colour C-41 film on the F100/F5.

2. Buy a D70 (any other options in that price range?) and shoot like a trooper. use standard B&W film on the F50 and use current chemicals.

My only fear is that the digital camera wont be up to par with a decent film camera, but then again, it's practicality as well!! arghh help.

As you can see from the photos on this forum, a digital camera will definitely produce very high quality shots for you. I shoot both digital and film, but my money goes towards the digital. I am using completely manual cameras from the 1960s for my film photos, as well as a Rebel 2000 and that is sufficient for my film needs.

You can switch to digital now and get another film SLR a little bit later.

I would just go digital. I shoot b&w and develop it myself (even if my mom gets mad that i take the bathroom for a day) but I'm looking at getting a dslr. The instant gratification of digital is so nice, and the picture quality is often as good or better than what I develop myself.

Most reactions

Back