Another Firefox question

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by oriecat, Aug 5, 2004.

1. oriecat

oriecat work in progress

My internet radio station won't play embedded in Firefox. Windows Media will play it fine separately, or fine through IE but not Firefox. Do I need a plugin or something to make it work? I hate having to open IE each time I want to open the radio, and I prefer to play it embedded, so that way I get the artist info...

I am on Win2000.

2. hobbes28

hobbes28 Incredible Supporting Member

You have to turn down your security settings on firefox a tad.

3. oriecat

oriecat work in progress

I still can't get it to work. :|

4. MDowdey

MDowdey Guest

hit it with a tackhammer

md

5. oriecat

oriecat work in progress

I don't have one. :|

6. oriecat

oriecat work in progress

I don't even know what that is. :|

7. MDowdey

MDowdey Guest

its that tiny little flimsy hammer you use to hammer tiny nails into walls and really small stuff.

:lol: geez!!!! :lol:

md

8. oriecat

oriecat work in progress

Oh ok. I probably just call it a little hammer. :p

:|

9. Harpper

Harpper TPF Noob!

What's the radio station's web address?

10. oriecat

oriecat work in progress

11. Harpper

Harpper TPF Noob!

From what I can tell they use coding that works only in IE to embed the player on the side of the browser. Are you clicking on the "listen (windows media player)" option? With IE it gives me a choice whether to embed the player on the side or launch the external player. Firefox only launches the external player.

Although all is not lost because if you choose the first option "listen (AudioRealm Player)" then it launches a popup window that has all the artist information on it. It will ask you to test your internet speed connection but if you already know it like cable, DSL, etc then just skip the test and manually choose it yourself.

After that it will give you the option to embed a player into that popup window or use the external version of Windows Media Player, etc. You also have to check only Windows Media Player or the other choice but not both and then click next. Here's where it gets a little tricky, so it might be good for you to try it while reading because it would make more sense this way.

I've tried this website on both Mac and Windows XP and it seems that on the Mac the embedding works but not on XP even with IE. That's probably because I had to manually install Windows Media Player in the past since it doesn't come installed with Mac computers for obvious reasons. :wink: Usually installing or reinstalling audio players will install the necessary plugins for all your internet browsers. Another factor is that my Mac has Media Player 9 installed while my XP has Media Player 8.

Anyway, if the embedded player doesn't work then click on the "launch external player" option at the bottom of the popup window. This will launch your audio player but will keep the Auralgasms popup window, which has all the artists info you wanted.

I know that might have sounded complicated but it's really not. It's a lot easier to try it out then to explain. :wink:

12. oriecat

oriecat work in progress

You totally lost me. :|

What I always do is click the AudioRealm one on top. In IE it works fine, but in Firefox the media player never fully loads (it's all kinda gray). If I click on the media player option, then media player just opens and it works fine too, but without the artist info.

I guess I will just resign myself to having to use IE for it, so I can just use the embedded popup. Oh well *shrug* :|