Another first wedding question

ericande

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've read through about 50 threads on here but haven't found an answer to my question, so here goes:

Same story as always. I'm shooting my first wedding on August 24th for some friends. I intend to shoot the wedding with a D200 and D50 as backup. An SB600 and a second flash as backup and primarily with a 50 1.8 and 24-70 f/2.8. I'm not too worried about getting good shots (I will be the night before though!) But I don't really know the order to do things. I'll probably meet up with them a few weeks before for an engagement shoot but the day of how does the timing work?

My best guess is, the morning of, before the ceremony shoot the location, before the ceremony itself, shoot the bride getting ready, her with her parents, MOH, that stuff. Also groom with his friends, getting ready, maybe with the bridesmaids. During the ceremony, shoot the ceremony (I think I got that one right for sure :) ) After the ceremony take formal shots of the bride and groom together, also other formal shots with family.

Anything I missed? It seems that some photographers take a ton of formal shots of the bride and groom and sometimes in multiple spots around the wedding location. How do you have time to do this?

Thanks!

You should meet with them, prior to the wedding and go over the schedule. This will be when you can find out when & where they will be during the big day.

This is also where you need to let them know how much time you want/need to get your photos. Maybe you schedule some time before the ceremony to shoot the girls or the guys (or both together if they don't want to wait).
You will surely want to schedule some time after the ceremony for formals with family etc. You might want to ask for two, three hours...maybe more. Remember that you will almost always have less time that you plan for and things will often take longer than you think....so ask for as much as you can get away with...and then do the best with whatever time you end up having.

As you are only one person, you may not be able to cover both the Bride and groom getting ready...but maybe you will.

Usually, they will have a list of shots they want...or you could ask them to make one up. Try to keep it on the shorter side, other wise you will end up spending all your time shooting family groups and you won't have any time left for just the B&G.

A typical workflow is to shoot the bigger groups first, or maybe the youngest and oldest people first, that way they don't have to hang around while you arrange & shoot the other groups. Once you are done with people, get them to leave and then you can concentrate on who's left.

I really like to do the family shoot away from the ceremony location...because then you can get away from all the guests and their digicams. This will probably mean travel time for a lot of people, so factor that in.

You don't have to do it this way...there really isn't a right or wrong way. Many people shoot with a 'photo journalistic' style where they basically follow the B&G around and cover the events like a reporter.

Thats it, enough already... in my blog, I am going to do a write up JUST so I don't have to do it all over and over, and over... again. :lmao:

That way, I just post a link and will be done with it.

Look for something late in the weekend. Expect it to be VERY opinionated too. ;)

To any and all people that have questions that they want answered, I suppose we could start another thread and ask there. This way we don't disturb the OP here.

Keep an eye in the Beyond the Basics area.

I've been meaning to do that as well....seeing as I'm answering the same 7 questions...over and over :lol:

Thanks for the advice Mike and I think you should do a write up Jerry.

I forgot to add, I will have a back-up photog so we'll be able to cover everything. So after the ceremony, you try to get 2-3 hours for formals if you can, but I guess this assumes the reception isn't immediately following?

I've been meaning to do that as well....seeing as I'm answering the same 7 questions...over and over :lol:

You're not alone 'bro! :lmao:
Instead of bitching about it, I am going to turn it into a fun project for me. Heck, I may turn it into a book... seriously! We all know about the 'XYZ" for dummies, I will make something similar but with a twist...
wedding photography for newbs... MADE by a newb! :lol: :lol: :lol:

So after the ceremony, you try to get 2-3 hours for formals if you can, but I guess this assumes the reception isn't immediately following?
That is usually how we do it around here. Of course, it's much too common that the B&G are late for the reception because they didn't leave enough time for the photos....well, they usually plan for enough time...but then something goes wrong and the ceremony is late, then someone is late for the group photos, etc etc....
That's why I say that you should ask for 2 to 3 hours...and if you get an hour or less, then that is hopfully enough. If, by some miracle, you do actually get to have them for that long, then you can really get creative and use multiple locations etc.

If the reception is right after...they they will just have to plan for photos at some other time.

You're not alone 'bro!
Instead of bitching about it, I am going to turn it into a fun project for me. Heck, I may turn it into a book... seriously! We all know about the 'XYZ" for dummies, I will make something similar but with a twist...
wedding photography for newbs... MADE by a newb!
It's crossed my mind a time or two.

I agree with all that Big MIke has said but I will add a couple of things. Do not expect any of the venues to be set up too long before the wedding actually happens i.e. do not plan to go and shoot the set up at the recption hall before the ceremony even happens as they will definately not have a thing set up till right before the guests start to arrive. I would not be surprised if they are putting finishing touches on things as people are arriving so do not waste time in your schedule to do this. Next whatever you do make sure you try to shoot the girls getting ready before the guys as this will always take longer and if you are going to miss either one of them it better be the guys as they usually are alot less sentimental about all this. By the way there is a sticky with alot of info in the gallerey section.

Most reactions

Back