Another go at sunsets

Phelan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.davisphotoworks.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Took some more sunset shots yesterday and today, and again came away disappointed after looking at my results. Still have a few more to go through later, but here's a couple of the better ones.

i really like the first one. it looks like it's more than one shot stitched together? it has kind of a panoramic feel to it which i like

the first one is great....looks like it was tweaked a bit or something with the colors? colors off you did that or what? but then again that what i like about it....the second one just i dunno is lacking

What precisely is it that disappoints you about the outcome of your expeditions into the sunset? The first is quite nice, and the colour gradation in the sky of the second is also pleasing to look at. What did you WANT to achieve?

were you hoping to have the foreground more exposed? if so you should probably get a graduated ND filter. I bought a few for my D40 by Cokin for sunsets when in the maldives. The exposure is better in the foreground i found but then that may not be what you want? Below is an example, which is not the best shot but its had no post processing and the light was quite low by this stage, obviously this was on a tripod.
DSC_2071.jpg

Thinking about it, sunsets can be broken down into categories [of a sort]. One group is the 'Gee Whiz' riot-of-color extravaganzas. They can be mind-boggling.

Then there are the subtle, almost monochromatic ones which depend on the interplay of cloud forms and foreground. #1 falls into this group and is, to my 'eye', a pleasing example. [There are other groups, of course.]

Please do continue to explore sunsets.

Both are crops of larger shots.

On #1 I increased the saturation slightly, and added a 25% density yellow filter.
On #2 I darkened the foreground, increased saturation and added a cooling filter to bring out the purple hues more.

I suppose what disappoints me is while the shots came out good, they aren't as good as what I saw while taking them.

I really like the first picture. It's amazing what a great camera can do. :)

Phelan,
These are quite good. I was planning on going out in fayetteville this weekend, but I have the Ark/Aub game to go to - so I'm going to do some shots there - and maybe at some point I'll get a chance to go out this weekend - but its supposed to be another cold weekend.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back