Another HDR attempt

Discussion in 'Landscape & Cityscape' started by RMThompson, Mar 26, 2007.

1. RMThompson

RMThompson the TPF moderators rock my world!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    [​IMG]

C n C please!

2. shorty6049

shorty6049 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    hmm.... its interesting, i like the colors, I dont know if thats exactly considered HDR though... very artistic looking though!

3. zioneffect564

zioneffect564 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    im going to have to agree with tony on this one.. i really like the colors though

4. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    This is not asking enough for Photo Critique so the thread had to move to the Landscape and Nature Gallery. (Photo_Critique_FAQs_here ).

This is more towards Graphic Arts than still being a photo, so it seems, and I find the colours very, very loud.
    I am a sucker for colour photography and for intense colours --- but this goes a bit overboard, to my mind. But my mind is subjective, of course.

5. abraxas

abraxas No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Maybe a bit darker blue. Kinda-Monet maybe?

6. RMThompson

RMThompson the TPF moderators rock my world!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well what defines HDR to everyone? That is a good question. Personally I like the HDR landscapes and city scapes, because they show off a range of colors and tones within the picture.

However, what defines High Dynamic Range? According to wikipedia:

"With the rising popularity of digital cameras and easy to use desktop software, the term "HDR" is now popularly used[1] to refer to the process of tone mapping together bracketed exposures of normal digital images, giving the end result a high, often exaggerated dynamic range; however, in this case neither the input nor the output qualify as "true" HDRI."

Which is what I did. While it might not have a wide range of lights and darks, like traditions HDR, the colors and intesity were definetly enhanced by the HDR, giving it the unworldly look I was going for. If I exposed for the water to look that dark, the pads were too dark as well, and if I exposed for the pads the water was too bright and ugly. So i thought, hey take three shots and combine them, to get what I want, and it actually worked.

Now is the picture particularly interesting? No, not really, but It's sort of a personal accomplishment for getting what I wanted, seeing it in my mind and then taking it that way.

Now as far as colors are concerned, I did NOT saturation to this at all. I had my Canon in "vivid green" mode, and used exposure compensation to take one 2 steps up and 2 steps down from "standard"... combined them in Photomatix for this.

So it's not true HDR? Oh well - it's still a useful tool and really deepened the colors that were there.