Another Hit

iBats

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
22368_298522784737_663134737_3379073_2220272_n.jpg

so what do yah think of this one?

yet another snow storm is hitting the mid-atlantic so....

Interesting composition. I don't like how the branch is cropped off on the left. Also appears to be very soft. I can't find much in the way of a single point of sharp focus.

Interesting composition. I don't like how the branch is cropped off on the left. Also appears to be very soft. I can't find much in the way of a single point of sharp focus.

thats actually where the branch ended, anything beyond that is dirty plowed snow, and the sharp point of focus is right in the center, it might be hard to find

but thanks for the composition comment, anything else?

Wide open isn't always the way to go... You'd probably be better off at around f/4 on this one so gain some sharpness and more overall focus on the subject.

There's also not much contrast and just kind of blah.

That said, I've tried shots similar to this myself thinking it would really stand out and well, they just don't. Even the red sumac I tried it with didn't turn out well against the white snow.

Keep shooting, keep experimenting, and keep posting.

thats actually where the branch ended, anything beyond that is dirty plowed snow, and the sharp point of focus is right in the center, it might be hard to find

Thats understandable to crop like that, but there has to be another option, move it from the plowed snow, find another branch to shoot. The excuse of the crop does not make the picture better, find a way to keep the subject matter from cutting in half.
Also I agree, the image is too soft and blurry, although I like the drab colors, also I could crop it a little bit.

Thats understandable to crop like that, but there has to be another option, move it from the plowed snow, find another branch to shoot. The excuse of the crop does not make the picture better, find a way to keep the subject matter from cutting in half.
Also I agree, the image is too soft and blurry, although I like the drab colors, also I could crop it a little bit.

it wasnt cut in half, it was just the end of the branch. It is supposed to be soft, not blurry, that was the clearest branch to shoot, the rest were mediocre at best

but thanks for the colors comment

I've been resisting posting this for various reasons, but after iBats latest comment to Tulsa, I can't help myself now.

First off, go here for context. It's a thread I started about C&C that seems to be somewhat popular right now, and very pertinent to this thread.

iBats comments are exactly what I've been talking about in that thread. People (myself, Tulsa, and others) are giving honest, direct C&C to try to help the OP, but instead of taking in stride, the OP has to justify everything. The only comments the OP has taken without explaining or justifying are the positive ones. I can only assume that "so what do yah think of this one?" means "Hey guys, can you C&C this for me please?"

iBats, I have to ask. Why did you post this? Were you really looking for advice on how to make it better? Or were you looking for kudos and attaboys? I ask, because anything, that anyone says critical about your photo (and the flower photo you posted earlier) you have an excuse for it, like you meant for it to be that way.

When I said that you shouldn't have cropped it like that. Guess what. Whether you meant for it to be like that or not, it doesn't look good. It runs your eyes off the frame, which is almost never a good thing. If it means recomposing, it means recomposing. If it means finding a new subject, because the one you found is no good, then you need to find a new subject.

Next, I don't believe you when you say the branch was supposed to be soft. Bottom line, it is out of focus, and doesn't look good at all. Maybe you need a smaller aperture, maybe you needed a faster shutter. I don't know, but the entire frame is out of focus. And please, don't try to tell me that "the sharp point of focus is right in the center..." because it isn't. There isn't anywhere that is sharp.

Here's the bottom line. If you like the shot, then you like it, and nothing anyone says will matter to you. That's fine. I like plenty of shots I've taken that turned out sub-par technically. However, I'm not going to post them here, ask for C&C, then defend the bad things about it.

I'm sorry for the rant, but this is exactly what's frustrating me about giving C&C. Please understand that we only want to help. But no one will be able to help you if you aren't willing to own up to your mistakes. I've taken 10's of thousands of photos, and of those, MAYBE 25 are where I believe there's very little that can be done to make them better. Please remember that if you want to get better, you have to take the negative feedback with the positive feedback. A lot of people here know what they're talking about and are more than happy and willing to help you out.

I've been resisting posting this for various reasons, but after iBats latest comment to Tulsa, I can't help myself now.

First off, go here for context. It's a thread I started about C&C that seems to be somewhat popular right now, and very pertinent to this thread.

iBats comments are exactly what I've been talking about in that thread. People (myself, Tulsa, and others) are giving honest, direct C&C to try to help the OP, but instead of taking in stride, the OP has to justify everything. The only comments the OP has taken without explaining or justifying are the positive ones. I can only assume that "so what do yah think of this one?" means "Hey guys, can you C&C this for me please?"

iBats, I have to ask. Why did you post this? Were you really looking for advice on how to make it better? Or were you looking for kudos and attaboys? I ask, because anything, that anyone says critical about your photo (and the flower photo you posted earlier) you have an excuse for it, like you meant for it to be that way.

When I said that you shouldn't have cropped it like that. Guess what. Whether you meant for it to be like that or not, it doesn't look good. It runs your eyes off the frame, which is almost never a good thing. If it means recomposing, it means recomposing. If it means finding a new subject, because the one you found is no good, then you need to find a new subject.

Next, I don't believe you when you say the branch was supposed to be soft. Bottom line, it is out of focus, and doesn't look good at all. Maybe you need a smaller aperture, maybe you needed a faster shutter. I don't know, but the entire frame is out of focus. And please, don't try to tell me that "the sharp point of focus is right in the center..." because it isn't. There isn't anywhere that is sharp.

Here's the bottom line. If you like the shot, then you like it, and nothing anyone says will matter to you. That's fine. I like plenty of shots I've taken that turned out sub-par technically. However, I'm not going to post them here, ask for C&C, then defend the bad things about it.

I'm sorry for the rant, but this is exactly what's frustrating me about giving C&C. Please understand that we only want to help. But no one will be able to help you if you aren't willing to own up to your mistakes. I've taken 10's of thousands of photos, and of those, MAYBE 25 are where I believe there's very little that can be done to make them better. Please remember that if you want to get better, you have to take the negative feedback with the positive feedback. A lot of people here know what they're talking about and are more than happy and willing to help you out.

im accepting it, just telling you the conditions which i was under

im accepting it, just telling you the conditions which i was under

No, you were justifying it. There's a big difference. We understand the conditions. And when it was explained a second time by a different person that those same conditions made for not such a great photo, you justified again.

it wasnt cut in half, it was just the end of the branch. It is supposed to be soft, not blurry, that was the clearest branch to shoot, the rest were mediocre at best.

Look at the photo, your telling me thats the end of it? Below the twig there is half a leaf that is CUT OFF! your telling me thats natural? Your telling me that if you were to zoom out a small amount that everything past the current crop would be dead space?

Gaerek you hit it right on the head.

Most reactions

Back