Another IR Attempt

Nikon Fan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Alrighty, after messing with the info from a link geronimo posted in another thread I think I may be getting a bit closer to IR. I'm defnitely going to be investing in a filter soon, and maybe even some film. But for now this will have to do...so what do you think, is it even close to IR?

IMG_2234-copy.jpg

Yes! With some tweaking it could be great. The trees that are purple instead of white aren't really that characteristic of IR, but they certainly don't scream "THIS ISN'T IR," but rather offer the needed contrast. The 1 thing I'd suggest is that the sky is usually very dark in IR.

Nope, it looks like you've just toned it blue, and yet the sky remains a normal blue.....this image doesn't know what it's supposed to be. ;) Remember, your true IR is going to be a B&W image at its core. Let that be your starting point. Like I've said, I have yet to see a good rendition in PS. You'd do better with the filter......better yet with the real thing.

If you don't want to fool with HIE (and it's a bugger, no question) try some Ilford SFX, Amanda. Rate it at 200 and use a #25 red filter. It's not a true IR film, but SO much easier than HIE and the results are worth it, compared to how you're struggling here. I am betting you'll end up with images that will make you very happy! :)

Even better: Ilford SFX comes in 35 AND 120. :thumbup:

Thanks Joe and Terri :)

I'll for sure be getting an IR filter, but I definitely want to try some IR Film as well. I appreciate your suggestions Terri, I may bug you later when I get a chance to buy some and try it out :) Thanks for the help! As you can see I'm itching to try true IR...

Once you do and see how easy it is, you'll never go back. ;) Good luck with it!

Most reactions

Back