Another kid shot :)

reznap

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
We were at the park and the light was nice so I decided to try to overpower a backlighting sun with my new flash mounted on the hotshoe. Had to warm up her skin tones in PP, other than that these are mostly untouched. All taken with the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 - awesome lens.

I have some CTO gels to put on the flash, and would like to do some off-camera angles but posing a 3-year old is hard enough. I told her 'a birdie just pooped on my head!' to get her to smile. Any thoughts on what to do differently?

EDIT: Almost forgot. I could really use some crop suggestions for these first two. I tried cutting them down but kept them full sized to maintain versatility for frame sizes, etc..

#1 - she actually stayed where I put her :)
bellapark2.jpg

bellapark4.jpg

#3 - you can see here how I'm in over my head with her attitude
bellapark1.jpg

Last edited:
I love the last shot, but you cut her feet off! :O LOL.

I haven't dabbled in flash yet, but it seems that the last one is a little strong of a flash and her pink shorts seem a bit oversaturated.

lovely photos, i noticed her princess frog shirt... make sure she doesn't kiss any frogs, she could get staff infection, no joke :p ... fiance works at the hospital and they had a little girl come in for that... thought it was funny

I love the last shot, but you cut her feet off! :O LOL.

Yeah... I have some with her feet showing but her eyes closed :)
It's a struggle..

I haven't dabbled in flash yet, but it seems that the last one is a little strong of a flash and her pink shorts seem a bit oversaturated.

Well, I still have the RAW and I see what you mean, I didn't even notice. I can fix that I think (the saturation).

lovely photos, i noticed her princess frog shirt... make sure she doesn't kiss any frogs, she could get staff infection, no joke :p ... fiance works at the hospital and they had a little girl come in for that... thought it was funny

Ew. Staph isn't cool stuff. When I was in basic training in the Carolinas I got chiggers (little gross burrowing bugs) in my arm. Well, it was a mess and on my elbow I developed a staph infection. It was super-gross and painful.. don't want to elaborate too much or forum members could lose their breakfast.

I really like her expression in the first one I just wish she didnt have a water fountain shooting up from her head.

Something just dosen't seem right with this shot....

bellapark4.jpg

Cheetos? Gee, thanks for the edit.

I really like her expression in the first one I just wish she didnt have a water fountain shooting up from her head.

HAHA! Didn't even notice the whale shot!

and lol @ the cheetos edit (even though it was totally unnecessary, I think a cheetos edit thread for all pictures is in the future)

Hope you dont mind took a quick stab at a different crop and little pp.

^Nice. I like the crop. I'll do that to one of the fullsized ones. Looks like you brightened her skin tones, smoothed them out and maybe warmed them a bit, but my eyes are a little lazy right now so I'm not sure. Did you add some blur to the background too?

Also, thanks for not scribbling on her face like the other guy.

^Nice. I like the crop. I'll do that to one of the fullsized ones. Looks like you brightened her skin tones, smoothed them out and maybe warmed them a bit, but my eyes are a little lazy right now so I'm not sure. Did you add some blur to the background too?

Yes to all of the above ;) Good eye.

Adorable little girl, and LOL at the bird pooping on your head to make her laugh :lol:

One thing somebody on these forums told me, that I really took to heart- is when photography small children, the vertical shots "work" more often than the horizontal shots. It makes the child seem smaller when shot horizontally, but when you get down to their level (which you did a great job of in all of these btw!) and shoot vertically, you make them feel larger and more "important" in the frame.

I know that's a terribly summary of the long amazing advice I was given, but I try to keep it in mind whenever shooting children now.

I like the cropped version of the first picture, it looks much better than the fountain going through her head =P And I might recommend cropping all of these so that she fills more of the frame.

I love the tones and contrast you achieved.. Nice natural skin tones without overexposing the background :) Overall great job!

+1! Love the crop

1.) I wouldnt even mess with cloning out the fountain.. its not THAT distracting.. ( unless of course you have some mad pp skill, and can do it unnoticed.lol)
After the Edit... ( she did a nice job) fixed skin tones,cropped.. etc. I think that doesnt really need much more to it, imo.

2.) Not really crazy about the *sad* face.. I think her skin tones may be off.. and need a little cropping like the first shot..

3.)The ONLY things i can spot off with that picture.. are her clothes/face may be a SMIDGE over exposed.. or i may just be seeing things...
and you chopped her little feet off :O
Other than that... i LOVE that picture.... its not even bad *as is*

what an adorable little girl, perfect little model!

Most reactions

Back