Another lens question!

Kaleighx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These lenses are all about the same prices so i was wondering if someone could give me a little opinion? I want to focus on portrait pictures so obviously the best lens for that, but i dont want to pigeonhole myself to one lens and i want a variety so i was thinking get a lens that has the broadest mm?

These are the three im looking at

Canon EF 35-80mm (This is just usually a standard, right?)

Canon EF 28-90mm F/4-5.6 III SLR Lens (im leaning towards this the most)

Canon EF 28-90mm f/4-5.6 II USM Standard Zoom Lens

Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM Standard Zoom Lens for Canon... (this is the msot expensive... about more than double but i think this is THE best?)

What do you shoot?
You could try and save for a 17-70. Even an 11-16 or maybe a 17-40L.

what do you mean?

i jusssstt got a rebel xt so it would be my first lens so i dont just wanna go with teh standard but it would be good to practice but i think i would really love the 28-105

i shoot portraits mostly

the 28-90 II i think is discontinued and the 28-90 III is only $100 which i believe is cheaper than the standard kit lens. I would imagine its of lesser quality than the lens you have currently. Glass is the most important piece of equipment as far as getting good quality images. The kit lens is 18-55? Thats a good basic range for wide landscape shots up to head/shoulder portraits. If you save up a bit more you can go for the 85mm f/1.8 which is a very fast lens and is a great length for portraits and wouldnt be redundant as your lens stops at 55mm (if this is the standard lens you speak of). Just some food for thought,

Nick

with glass people normally refer to lenses, not the actual chemical composition of the glass :)

Although, also the latter varies from lens to lens.

Anyway, for portraits one or two prime lenses might also be a good option. the 50mm f/1.8 is a bargain and not bad as a portrait length on a crop sensor like your xt has. image quality of a 50mm prime will be better than that of the zoom lenses at 50mm. also the prime has the advantage of being a good lens for shooting at low light because of it's large maximum aperture of f/1.8.

haha okay thank you for the glass comment.. ive never heard that so i was like.. umm?

i saw just a 50 mm... is that what you mean? im sorry im such a n00b at this! haha

The quality of the picture that comes out from the 50mm F/1.8 is going to be better than the lens you listed.

And the 50mm F/1.8 lens is the best lens in terms of price/performance. Please note that it is a prime lens. In other words, it is not a ZOOM lens that you can change the focal length.

To see some samples, go to flickr.com and search for "ef 50mm f/1.8 portrait"

Get a Sigma 24-60 F/2.8. Versatile lens, that you wont be "stuck" with.

Here are some pictures I took using the Sigma. All but three were from this lens. And for 200 bucks NEW (much cheaper used) you are getting a stupid good value. Seriously I can't pimp the lens enough. The 50MM is good, but it is very limited in its application (please dont be fooled by the "your feet are you zoom" adage).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back